把文档贴到Blog、BBS或个人站等:
普通尺寸(450*500pix)
较大尺寸(630*500pix)
你可能喜欢In your opinion, what should the purpose of education be? | A conversation
Portland, ME
United States
Founder/ Director, Treehouse Institute
This conversation is closed.
In your opinion, what should the purpose of education be?
Education is a prominent cultural institution used to perpetuate the prevailing values of a society.
Our modern education system has a sordid past largely rooted in industrialism. It's aim is to produce economically viable products--employable citizens. Nearly all our tweaks to the system in the last 100+ years are simply attempts to ensure that the products (graduates) are prepared for the work force.
I want to hear from YOU as I believe this conversation is crucial to lay a foundation to create significant and meaningful change.
Here is my answer:
I believe that education should be an empowering process that allows and guides children to develop their passions, critical thinking, compassion, and orientation towards wisdom for timely action.
In other words, self-cultivation should be the purpose of education. Understanding self-cultivation in terms of being a part of a unified field of relationships is key to the growth of a mature culture of peace. When the natural web of our relationships is used to strengthen our depth of knowledge, the feedback from the environment supports timely adjustments and refinements in our emotional and technical developments.
For this conversation, please focus on the question "in your opinion, what should the purpose of education be?"
We'll talk about the "how" in another conversation.
Related Talks:
Closing Statement from Adam Burk
Thank you all for joining this conversation. There are beautiful aspirations here of bringing for the best of humanity through the development of individuals, married with tensions to ensure that society is served and supported and that the basics are not overlooked.
There are currently 365 comments and 365 distinct articulations of "what the purpose of education should be." The process to develop a consensus on this is beyond the scope and purpose of this conversation. However, I do hope that it is understood that this question and its answer are the shapers of education systems and in turn cultures.
And so I invite you to ponder the question Thomas Brucia raised earlier, "Who should decide what the purpose of education is? /conversations/8190/who_should_decide_what_the_pur.html
Once we decide who should be making that decision then we can return to my original question and ultimately re-inventing education.
Thank you all again for sharing of your selves.

我要回帖

更多关于 would have done 的文章

随机推荐