so how can you get past the shame and recognize的名词

Body Shame on YouWhat are the challenges that gifted and creative individuals face at present? | A conversation
Quezon City
Philippines
Teacher - English and Research, Glendale School, Inc. (QC, Phil)
This conversation is closed.
What are the challenges that gifted and creative individuals face at present?
Hi everyone! I am working on a research about the gifted and creative individuals. I'd like to know what are the challenges that the gifted and creative people experience in your country. Share your thoughts please :) Thanks!On 19th August, 2014
on&19th August, 2014 |
Maybe this is happening as you’re buying a new computer: One devil urges you to
or at least , while the other insists you . And here’s me explaining why you should stick with good old Windows.
Windows remains the dominating desktop operating system. Windows 7 is found on more than half of all PCs and Windows XP still runs on almost a quarter of home computers. Overall, guess why.
You Already Know How Windows Works
If you don’t like change or learning new things, you can close this article after reading this first point and be happy.
You’ve been using Windows for years, you have a selection of favorite software, and your external hardware, like your printer or scanner, is working just fine under Windows. Basically, you invested many hours to adapt to the Windows environment. If you can’t be bothered to re-learn basic tasks or find alternatives and workarounds under a new operating system, why would you?
Even if you needed to upgrade your current computer, it’s probably easier to adjust to a new version of Windows, than to learn a completely different operating system from scratch. Despite what everyone is saying, Windows 8.1 isn’t all that bad. In fact, the desktop interface is almost the same as Windows 7. With the
and Update 1, Windows will boot your PC to the desktop by default and the . Heck, you could even play it safe and .
Check-In: Are you with me on this one? Then you’re almost done. Just leave a thank you comment and you’re good to go.
Windows Is A Full-Fledged Operating System
If you use your computer for more than accessing a browser, you need a proper operating system.
Whether you’re getting a Windows 8 tablet or a Windows desktop computer, you’ll be working with a powerful operating system. Even though it was designed for tablets, since the introduction of , the latest version of Windows is incredibly desktop-friendly.
By design, Chromebooks depend on Internet access. While you can
and use offline modes of web-based tools, local storage is about as generous as what you’ll find on an average smartphone and . Period.
Check-In: The Chromebook is eliminated based on its many limitations, but .
Windows Comes Pre-Installed On Affordable Hardware
A ready-to-use Windows laptop or desktop computer can be had for under $300.
This price is comparable to a Chromebook or Android tablet and if all you do is use your browser and the Internet, by all means, get a mobile device. If you’re expecting to multi-task or install software, however, you already know better.
You can buy a , but the choice is limited and it would require that you adapt to a new operating system. You can also
on any Windows hardware you already own or , but it’s something you have to spend time and energy on to set up. Windows comes pre-installed on most hardware and works right out of the box.
Linux is a free option that, with some work, can be . Investing in the Macverse, however, is a whole different ballpark. Moreover, despite the inflated price and walled nature of its environment, Apple supports its operating system with updates for a much .
Check-In: If you’re looking for the best value, Macs are out.
Many Developers Support Windows Only
Because Windows remains the dominating operating system by far, developers often don’t bother with supporting other platforms.
You may find alternatives, but if you depend on specific software or want to play a particular game, you’ll have to use workarounds like , which can be difficult to set up and buggy. On the bright side, Steam made a commitment to , which led to a great influx of new games, but . Likewise, hardware developers refuse to support a fraction of the PC market. That’s unless it comes at a premium, which is why you see a lot of Mac-specific software and hardware.
Even our resident Linux writer Danny recommends you to check for hardware compatibility, software needs, and gaming preferences before you decide to .
Check-In: If you’re happy to compromise on software and games, you’re a Linux person. Otherwise you’re not and you know what that means.
Nobody can give you a one size fits all recommendation. I’ll try anyway: If you have to listen to one of the silly imps, then . It’s free, open source, and you can easily dual boot it, while still running Windows. You won’t lose anything and you might find that you like it.
In the end, only you know what you really need and which features you most appreciate. All things considered, leaving Windows behind and switching to a different operating system might be best for you. Or maybe you’re considering a return to Windows after all. I hope this article helped you figure it out once and for all.
Where do you stand? Which is your favorite operating system, why do you stick with it, and which other ones have you tried?
Image credits: ,
Get the best tips from MakeUseOf in your inbox, free!
Loading more小题1:B小题2:D小题3:D小题4:D小题1: B解析 标题归纳题。文章第一段第一句就开篇点题,植物可能没有眼睛和耳朵,但他们认识自己的“兄弟姐妹”。下面所有内容都是围绕这一中心展开的。小题2: D解析 细节理解题。根据第三段第一句可知,在看了Dudley的研究发现后,Bais决定找出植物识别同胞的方法,故D项正确。小题3: D解析 词义猜测题。文章第四段第一句指出,Biedrzycki连续花费7天时间来研究、观察3 000多种植物,由此推知painstaking为hard&working之意。小题4: D解析 推理判断题。在文章最后一段作者提到,当家中花园里的植物生长得不好的时候,人们经常会责怪花卉商店或者认为细菌太多。而最后一句作者又暗示,花园里面的植物生长得不好有可能是因为花园里种植了不同种类的植物,它们之间相互竞争,注重根部的生长,从而生长得不好。
请选择年级高一高二高三请输入相应的习题集名称(选填):
科目:高中英语
来源:不详
题型:阅读理解
Human beings are the most intelligent& of all animals because we are gifted with the ability to think and reason logcally.& Scientists and even common people with special intelligence have made a lotol inventions and contributions to modern lifestyle in the past.& "Houses" have been the most popular area for discoveries and inventions in the past and even now. Many household items have been the result of people who desired better functioning& of the existent products.Every indivicdual has intelligence and if it is used properly for the right purpose it leads to invenaion of a new tool or device.Many new household inveritions are& made almost every day and there are specific companies,& which particularly keep a record of all these inventions. A lot of inventions have been made recently in the household field. These products are pa- tented(专利的) and have trade mark licenses(许可) .& The patented sliding cinch is a very simple but effedtive method to prevent shoulder stress and injury for those who work before computers all day long.& Vanity PC is a type of computer fumiture that speciflcally hides all the comp a clean and good look. All the outdoor dust, mud and snow can be kept out of the house by installing(安装) the dirt drain(排水管) at the entrance of the door.& Another important invention is the automatic toilet night-light, in which a small light starts when the lid of the toilet seat is opened and closes as soon as the lid is closed. These are some of the new household inventions invented mostly by common people. Thus, a variety of new household items are invented every day, which helps in a better functioning of household chores and in a more useful manner.小题1:The first paragraph tells us the importance ofA.the particular changes in housesB.the advantages of modern lifestyleC.the difference between human beings and animalsD. human being role in making inventions小题2:What plays the most impoltant role in causing people to invent new things?A.To improve the present living conditions.B.To earn more money and gain awards.C.To be recorded by some special companies.D.To meet the new demands of new science.小题3:It can be inferred that the sliding cinch is used toA.prevent your shoulder from being over-pressuredB.keep your shoulder safe and sound when you are in an accident or an operationC.help you practice your shoulder more often and reduce shoulder painsD.cover your shoulder and make it stronger to resist the outside strike小题4:Common people can also make good inventions becauseA.some inventions are easy to be made and can be mastered by common peopleB.common people have a strong desire to do something for science researchC.wisdom and in spiration sometimes come from everyday lifeD.success is often connected with hardship and bitter experience of common people小题5:The passage is mainly talking about _______.A.the correct use of household facilitiesB.household inventions and their influenceC.different ideas about household inventionsD.the history of household inventions
In Asia,there are special competitions where kites have complex designs and are fitted with instruments that make musical sounds as the wind blows through them.Although all kites have a similar structure(结构),they are widely different in size and shape.Kite&fighting competitions are also held,in which competitors use their kites to attack and bring down their opponents’(对手) kites or cut their strings(线).For more than 15 years,the Big Wind Kite Factory has been giving kite&making and kite&flying classes for the children on an island in Hawaii.In its kite&making lessons,students can make kites in as little as 20 minutes!Children as young as four years old can learn how to fly a kite.Jonathan Socher and his wife Daphne started the kite factory in 1980.Their kites are made of nylon(尼龙).Their designs are Hawaiian themes created by Daphne.The designs are cut out of the nylon with a hot knife that seals the edges and then fastened directly onto the kite.The kite that is used to give lessons is a regular diamond kite with a rainbow pattern.The difference between this kite and the ones they make during the lessons is that it is a two&string controllable kite.Big Wind employees fly the kite and for a few minutes show students how pulling on one line and then on the other controls the direction the kite goes in.Then the controls are given to the students.Jonathan insists that it is not necessary to make a huge impressive kite to have fun making and flying kites.Even the simplest structure can work,and can give hours of fun.Go on,give it a try!(2012·安徽,D)小题1:Which of the following is TRUE according to the text?A.A hot knife is used to iron the nylon.B.Children never fly kites on their own in flying lessons.C.Kite strings must not be cut in kite&fighting competitions.D.Daphne designs kites for the Big Wind Kite Factory.小题2:What is different about the kite used for flying lessons?A.It has two strings.B.It is simple in design.C.It has a rainbow pattern.D.It is shaped like a diamond.小题3:According to Jonathan,what do you need to have fun with kites?A.A large kite.B.Any type of kite.C.A complex structure.D.A kite that impresses others.小题4:What is mainly described in the text?A.A kite factory.B.Kite&flying lessons.C.Special competitions.D.The kite&making process.
题型:完形填空
One Monday morning,news got around in the schoolyard about a fire over the weekend.Soon Mr.Johnson,my teacher,came to explain that the Art class would be ____ due to the fire.He also warned us not to approach the Art room because it could be ____.During the morning break,Kirn and I decided to take a ____.A first hand observation would make us heroes at lunch.At the appointed time,Kirn and I ____ the Art room,ignoring the consequence I would face ____ I got caught.We stood on tiptoes looking hard ___ the door window,trying in vain to see ____ was forbidden.Suddenly a firm __ on our shoulders stopped us.Turning around,I found a teacher staring angrily at us.In those seconds millions of ___ flashed through my mind.My father would beat me hard.____ than that,my mom might be so mad that she might not stop him.My spirits ____ even lower while realizing how ____ Mr.Johnson would be.When Kirn and I were led back to our classroom,I could found ____ to hide and wanted to melt into the ____.However,Mr.Johnson had a different ___ to teach.Slowly,he bent down to look me in the ____,and I was met with a look of concern rather than anger.He spoke softly as he explained why he was ____ in my decision to go where I may have got hurt.He cared more about my ____ than the fact that I’d broken a rule.My heart was ___ with regret,and I discovered that he still loved me even after I disappointed him.The rest of the day,he didn’t even mention it in class publicly,___ did he tell my parents.It was the first time I felt the power of being given an unexpected second chance.小题1:A.confirmedB.examinedC.cancelledD.suggested小题2:A.uselessB.dangerousC.childish D.naughty小题3:A.testB.riskC.checkD.chance小题4:A.reached
B.searchedC.enteredD.cleaned小题5:A.untilB.unlessC.asD.if小题6:A.overB.withinC.throughD.across小题7:A.whatB.howC.whyD.which小题8:A.wordB.holdC.cryD.order小题9:A.thoughtsB.feelingsC.solutionsD.excuses小题10:A.EasierB.LessC.MoreD.Worse小题11:.A.changedB.liftedC.sankD.lost小题12:A.strangeB.angryC.kindD.sad小题13:A.somewhereB.anywhereC.nowhereD.everywhere小题14:A.fireB.laughC.tableD.floor小题15:A.courseB.lessonC.knowledgeD.ability小题16:A.eyeB.headC.handD.feet小题17:A.embarrassedB.excitedC.disappointedD.moved小题18:A.gradeB.honestyC.interestD.safety小题19:A.fullB.heavyC.relaxedD.empty小题20:A.soB.norC.eitherD.yet
Cindy Sydney is the founder of C&S Paving Inc.(铺路公司) in Miami,USA.In the following account,she recalls the job that challenged her ____ and skill but left her flying high.When the Miami Airport was under ____ in 1979,we were a new company struggling to make it.National Car Rental wanted to have 2,500 square meters of dirt paved ____ the cars could be on site ____ the airport opened,and the official opening was only ten days away!____ other local paving company wanted to do the job, stating it couldn’t be done in such a(n) ____ time.Because we were new and really needed the work,we were ____ to try harder.We gave National Car Rental our offer and ____ our best effort to get the job finished within ten days.We also ____ them that if we failed,they would be no worse off,____ they had plenty to gain if we succeeded.We got the job and immediately went into ___.Working at night needed lights,so I rented a machine to produce electricity for the site.Our____challenge was to keep the rock mixture ____ enough.All the available water wagons(洒水车) were rented out for the airport construction,and we certainly couldn’t& ____ to buy a new one.Instead,I got a special ___ to rent fire engine hoses(消防水龙带) and connect them to nearby hydrant(消防栓);then I ____ held one of those hoses to ____ down the rock.Those ten days were filled with challenges that ____ one creative idea after another.Nine days later,the night before the airport opened,National Car Rental was the only company that had cars on the parking lot.“The key to our success was having the ____ to take on any job and then being ____ in our approach to getting it done.”小题1:A.kindnessB.patienceC.imaginationD.experience小题2:A.constructionB.repairC.controlD.development小题3:A.afterB.asC.forD.so小题4:A.whileB.sinceC.whereD.when小题5:A.SomeB.AnyC.NoD.Every小题6:A.shortB.vacantC.initialD.regular小题7:A.ableB.nervousC.afraidD.willing小题8:A.supportedB.promisedC.continuedD.improved小题9:A.askedB.surprisedC.remindedD.demanded小题10:A.thoughB.butC.asD.unless小题11:A.discussionB.actionC.practiceD.production小题12:A.nextB.firstC.pastD.previous小题13:A.coldB.wetC.looseD.clean小题14:A.swearB.delayC.consultD.afford小题15:A.excuseB.orderC.permitD.reason小题16:A.exactlyB.personallyC.angrilyD.hardly小题17:A.pullB.knockC.hitD.water小题18:.A.requiredB.mixedC.followedD.formed小题19:A.courageB.interestC.hopeD.chance小题20:A.shabbyB.efficientC.creative D.urgent
When a person is curious about something,it means he is interested in it and wishes to know more about it.There is____wrong with curiosity in itself.Whether it is good or bad____on what people are curious about.Curiosity is always silly or wrong.Some persons with nothing to do are____of curiosity about what their neighbours are doing.They are____to know what they are eating or drinking,what they are____home or taking outside,or____they have come home so early or late.To be interested in these things is____because they are not at all___.It is none of their____to know what their neighbours do or are doing.Such curiosity is____not only foolish but also____.For most probably,it____to a small talk which often brings harm,shame or disrespect to others,and thus____their feelings.On the other hand,there is a____curiosity—the curiosity of wise men,who____at all the great things and try to find out all they____about them.Columbus could____have found America if he had not been___.James Watt would not have made the steam engine____his curiosity about the raising of the kettle lid.All the discoveries in human history have been made____a result of curiosity.But the curiosity is never about unimportant things which have little or nothing to do with the happiness of the public.小题1:A.muchB.nothingC.somethingD.none小题2:A.keepsB.putsC.takesD.depends小题3:A.fullB.fondC.proudD.out小题4:A.permittedB.worriedC.satisfiedD.anxious小题5:A.takingB.bringingC.goingD.thinking小题6:A.ifB.whenC.whyD.whether小题7:A.sillyB.necessaryC.possibleD.funny小题8:A.wrongB.badC.importantD.right小题9:A.workB.houseworkC.dutyD.business小题10:A.nothingB.allC.somethingD.everything小题11:A.instructiveB.uselessC.harmfulD.dreadful小题12:A.refersB.leadsC.causesD.follows小题13:A.hurtsB.effectsC.showsD.oppresses小题14:A.terribleB.suddenC.strangeD.noble小题15:A.expectB.likeC.wonderD.doubt小题16:A.knowB.studyC.mustD.can小题17:A.neverB.certainlyC.probablyD.finally小题18:A.famousB.carefulC.curiousD.hard小题19:A.forB.withoutC.inD.from小题20:A.becauseB.asC.afterD.during
Shakespeare once called the English countryside “the precious stone set in the silver sea”- and he is not the last to sing high praises of its beauty and historical charm(魅力).The countryside is particularly beautiful during the summer, especially in August and September. As one travels the countryside, you’ll find more of its treasures: so many plants and animals, romantic castles(浪漫的城堡), secret gardens, and villages so unchanged in the last decades that they seem to have been caught under a fairy’ s spell.Must-sees include Derbyshire, called “the heart of England” and home to the National Park. The great peaks were the muse(创作灵感)of the Bronte sisters (and if you love the book Jane Eyre, you can visit North Lees hall, where the real Eyre family once lived).History lovers will enjoy a visit to Lincoln city (its most famous son is Lord Alfred Tennyson). It is also known for its cathedral(大教堂), the charming tea shops, a small castle. One would never guess its violent past—built by Romans, it was once a center for arrow(箭) making.Harry Potter fans shouldn’t miss a visit to Alnwick, which is better recognized as the “Hogswarth” in the movies.Let’s not leave out the Wessex region, where one can see one of England’s greatest mysteries, Stone Henge. You can also go to the City of Bath, which has been famous for its medicines springs since the Roman times. Other popular tractions include Salisbury Cathedral, and landscaped(景色优美的) gardens of Stourhead, and the cobbled(用鹅卵石铺的) streets of Shaftesbury. This is also home to Oxford, one of the world’s most famous universities.Art lovers will also like a visit to East Anglia, whose landscapes inspired the painter Constable (he was born in Dedham village). This is also home of the University City of Cambridge, and the famous architectural(建筑上的) attraction, King’s College Chapel. Be sure to visit the aircraft museum of Duxford. 小题1:What was Shakespeare’s attitude towards the English countryside?A.Uninterested.B.Dissatisfied(不满意的). C.Surprised.D.Admiring.小题2:According to the text, Lincoln city________.A.produced arrows in the pastB.will be enjoyed by music loversC.was the place where the Eyre family once livedD.has one of the world’ s most famous universities小题3:When traveling in the countryside, Harry Potter fans are advised to visit ________.A.the Wessex region B.Derbyshire C.YorkshireD.Alnwick小题4:The text is most probably taken from ________.A.a travel guideB.a book review(书评)C.a history paperD.a newspaper report
A few common misconceptions. Beauty is only skin-deep. One' s physical assets and liabilities don' t count all that much in a managerial career. A woman should always try to look her best.Over the last 30 years, social scientists have conducted more than 1,000 studies of how we react to beautiful and not- so-beautiful people. The virtually unanimous conclusion: Looks do matter, more than most of us realize. The data suggest, for example, the physically attractive individuals are more likely to be treated well by their parents, sought out as friends, and pursued romantically. With the possible exception of women seeking managerial jobs they are also more likely to be hired, paid well, and promoted.Un-American, you say, unfair and extremely unbelievable? Once again, the scientists have caught us mouthing pieties (虔诚) while acting just the contrary. Their typical experiment works something like this. They give each member of a group--college students, perhaps, or teachers or corporate personnel managers a piece of paper relating an individual' s accomplishments. Attached to the paper is a photograph. While the papers all say exactly the same thing the pictures are different. Some show a strikingly attractive person, some an average-looking character, and some an unusually unattractive human being. Group members are asked to rate the individual on certain attributes, anything from personal warmth to the likelihood that he or she will be promoted.Almost invariably, the better looking the person in the picture, the higher the person is rated. In the phrase, borrowed from Sappho, that the social scientists use to sum up the common perception, what is beautiful is good.In business, however, good looks cut both ways for women, and deeper than for men. A Utah State University professor, who is an authority on the subject, explains: In terms of their careers, the impact of physical attractiveness on males is only modest. But its potential impact on females can be tremendous, making it easier, for example, for the more attractive to get jobs where they are in the public eye. on another note, though, there is enough literature now for us to conclude that attractive women who aspire (追求) to managerial positions do not get on as well as who may be less attractive.小题1: In "Beauty is only skin-deep", "skin-deep" can be replaced by______.A.decoratingB.superficialC.expressiveD.demanding小题2: "One's physical assets and liabilities don' t count all that much in a managerial career."(paral) can be interpretated as______.A.whether or not one looks good or bad, it doesn' t affect much one' s managerial careerB.in one' s managerial career, he may deal with cases like assets and liabilitiesC.in one' s managerial career, he may rarely deal with cases like assets and liabilitiesD.whether or not one looks good or bad, it may affect much one' s managerial career小题3: &The result of research carried out by social scientists show that______.A.people do not realize the importance of looking one' s bestB.women in pursuit of managerial jobs are not likely to be paid wellC.good -looking women aspire to managerial positionsD.attractive people generally have an advantage over those who are not小题4: "Good looks cut both ways for women" (Para.5) means that______.A.attractive women have tremendous potential impact on public jobB.good-looking women always get the best of everythingC.being attractive is not always an advantage for womenD.attractive women do not do as well as unattractive women in managerial positions小题5: &It can be inferred from the passage that in the business world______.A.handsome men are not affected as much by their looks as attractive women areB.physically attractive women who are in the public eye usually do quite wellC.physically attractive men and women who are in the public eye usually get along quite wellD.good looks are important for women as they are for men
Are you feeling stressed out? Anxious? Is your mind racing in circles? Are you worried about all the things you have to get done? Here’s a quick—acting trick that can make you feel better. If you are sitting at a desk, place the palm of your hand on the desk, and take a moment to focus on what the surface of the desk feels like. Is it hot or cold, rough or smooth? Put all of your attention on the sensations in your palm, on how the desk feels underneath your hand. If you are not at a desk, do the same exercise by placing your palm on any nearby object—a wall, a chair, even your opposite arm. When you are feeling stressed, your thoughts tend to take on a life of their own. You may be thinking about things you wish you had done differently in the past or worrying about things that you have to do in the future. These thoughts will make you feel anxious. The anxiety, in turn, increases the number of anxious thoughts. If you can ground yourself even for a moment in the present, you will break the cycle and feel instant relief. Paying attention to what objects in your environment feel like forces you to pay more attention to the present moment than to negative, anxiety—provoking (刺激的,诱发的)thoughts about the past or about the future. Try using your other senses too: Try closing your eyes for a second(don’t try this while driving!) and breathe deeply through your nose. What do you smell? When eating, put all your attention on how your food tastes. What do you hear? What little noises are there around you that you didn’t notice before? Look closely at an ordinary object. Do you see anything you haven’t noticed before?小题1:By saying& “Is your mind racing in circles”, the author intends to mean that______.A.you did something wrong in the past and wouldn’t forgive yourselfB.your mind is quick and bright when in a state of anxietyC.you are thinking in a stupid way when anxious thoughts worries you a lotD.you worried a lot and the anxious thoughts will increase your anxiety小题2:The author advises to put your palm on the desk or any things nearby in order to ____A.play a small trickB.feel the surface of the object C.do some exercisesD.reduce your anxiety小题3:The writer mentioned some senses that could be used to reduce stress except the _____.A.sense of touchingB.sense of smellC.sense of humourD.sense of listening小题4:Which of the following can be served as a title for the article?A.Frist Aid to Anxiety----SensesB.How Anxiety WorksC.The Cause of Anxiety—SensesD.How to Deal with Anxiety

我要回帖

更多关于 realize recognize 的文章

随机推荐