Do you thihk it willcost youres you sohow much is it costfora moment?

& / & Let me first give it props.
theme, by Elegant Themes, helps you create beautiful websites. Of that, there is no question.
And you can create them without knowing any code. That makes it even more amazing. Everyone that visits my website raves about it, is already using it, or wants to buy it.
I get that. And if you use it, you’ll have a beautiful site too. But if you do use it, I just want to highlight a consequence of your selection.
You’ll likely need to keep using it for a very long time (or be prepared to hire someone to clean up your content later).
It all starts out so innocently
When you first install the theme, the theme is very helpful. It comes with pre-created layouts for you.
You have to admit, that’s pretty nice. It saves you tons of time coding anything.
When you see what it does for you, you’re happy you didn’t have to do it yourself.
That’s a lot of stuff to configure, just to get your page to look good.
But now the job is easy – just tweak the content to match your text. Right?
What if you switch?
I’m not anti-Divi. Seriously.
But let’s just ask the question.
What happens if you decide you want to switch to a new theme?
I’ve often talked about shortcodes and what happens when you change a theme or stop using a plugin.
Let’s look at what happens.
First I changed the theme from
to Twenty Twelve – a clean and simple theme that you can download for free to use with WordPress.
This is what my home page had looked like.
Beautiful, right?
Now what did it look like?
And that’s just the first part of the page. It goes on like that for miles.
And when you go to edit the page?
Not all that is pretty is helpful
I want you to calculate what it would cost you to go thru every page on your site and strip out all these shortcodes.
I want you to evaluate what happens if you ever change your mind.
Because you should be doing that before you start with a theme. Any theme.
Just because the resultant site is beautiful doesn’t mean it’s healthy. And it doesn’t mean that what started out so inexpensive will stay that way.
The cost of changing your site’s theme might cost you as much as a custom theme.
So be careful.
That’s why I use Make by the Theme Foundry
I’m not saying you have to choose like I did.
But I like the idea of creating a nice looking theme with drag and drop features, panels of content, and more.
I just don’t want shortcodes.
And that’s what I get with
About Chris LemaWhile Chris
he's best known for
(regardless of who reads them) and
(regardless of who hears them).
Powered by the Rainmaker Platform
by Copyblogger Media is the complete website solution for building your own online marketing and sales platform. In short, it makes the technology part of running an online business simple so that online marketers and business owners can focus on building audiences and growing businesses.
Join more than 5,000 others
My posts. Your inbox. Beautiful.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
WANT SOME QUICK ADVICE? PAY PER MINUTE.
I regularly schedule calls to answer your questions using a service where you only pay per minute.
People don’t fully grasp how strategic Chris is. I love that about him and count on it all the time.
Karim Marucchi
Chris often breaks paradigms and has me rethinking the way I approach my business.
Chris always gives me something to think about – a new lens through which to examine my business.
Chris’s advice has helped me to make better decisions about my business, and manage my clients better.
Natalie MacLees
Chris has been a source of wisdom and insight in business and product strategy, startups, entrepreneurship, and more.
Austin Gunter
Chris is one of those rare people who can take a difficult subject and make it easy to learn and remember.
Dave Jesch
Chris has a heart of gold and is willing to reach out and help. He has helped me in several ways both in WordPress coding and consulting with me on my business. He has been a blessing in my life and look forward to a long friendship with him.
Gregg Franklin
Chris Lema always drops knowledge bombs that makes me think about how I can evolve my WordPress-powered business. Even more valuable is that he does it in a way that makes drastic change seem achievable.
Chris Ford
Whether it's product strategy or a question about which plugin to use, I know Chris will get me an answer faster than anyone else.
Steve Zehngut
Chris is a great mentor, instructor and friend. He fills all these roles with a down to earth style and ease that actually encourages you to believe that success is within your grasp.
Alex VasquezYour Virtual Mentor. Win at Work. Succeed in Life.
As featured in: Forbes, Businessweek, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, and the New York Times
Get my free eBook: Shave 10 Hours Off Your Workweek,
4 Proven Strategies to Create More Margin for the Things That Matter Most
About MeI am the author of the New York Times bestseller, . It is also a Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Amazon bestseller.
I am the founder and CEO of Intentional Leadership, an online leadership development company. We help overwhelmed high achievers get the clarity, confidence, and tools they need to win at work and succeed at life.
If you want to stop drifting and start designing your life, you are in the right place.
Total Subscribers615,597Connect on Facebook?Recent Media Coverage
Magazine: American Management Association
Magazine: Success Magazine
Podcast: Rainmaker.FM
Podcast: Parent Ministry Podcast
Podcast: Chris LoCurto Show
Podcast: The School of Greatness Podcast
Podcast: Beyond the To-Do List
Podcast: The Chalene Show
Podcast: The Ray Edwards Show
Magazine: Inc. Magazine
My Most Popular Posts