i often 什么 some singers with my friend with benefit

当前位置: >>
>> 新视野大学英语听说教程第一册听力原文
第一单元: part A Statement 1: Hello, welcome to &This Week's Sports&. The big news this week is the basketball championship. It started on Friday. Los Angeles Lakers beat Philadelph
ia 76ers, 108 to 96. Lakers won. Statement 2: Utah Jazz played Miami Heat. Jazz lost the game. They lost by just one point. The score was 111 to 110. Statement 3: Detroit Pistons beat Indiana Pacers. The score was 135 to 130. Pistons won. Statement 4: And in the last game Houston Rockets played New York Knicks. Knicks won, 75 to 69. That's it for basketball action. Thank you. part B one People play sports because they want to keep fit and live an active life. Besides, sports activities are fun and they make people feel good. two With a history of more than 2,700 years, the Olympic Games are one of the most important international events in the world today. The Olympics take place every four years. Beijing will host the 2008 Olympics. I look forward to the opening of the Olympic Games in Beijing. I will try to be there and cheer for the athletes (运动员) from all over the world.Why Don't You Join Me at the Gym Sometime? Peter: Hi, Laura. Where are you heading with that big bag? Laura: Hi, Peter. I'm off to the gym. I've got to stay in shape, you known. I try to go three times a week, but I'm busy so I can't always make it. Peter: I know more women who work out than men. What's the main reason you work out? For your health, or to look good? Laura: To be honest, for both. With women, good looks are always a very important consideration. Peter: If they were honest, most men who work out would admit that they also do it to look better, and not merely for health reasons. Laura: How about you? Do you get any regular exercise? Peter: I do a lot of walking, for exercise and enjoyment -- sometimes ten to twenty kilometers at a time -- but I never go to the gym like you do. Laura: Well, walking is good exercise. How about sports? Peter: Not since my school days. I used to love playing baseball, but it's impossible to get enough people together for a game now. Mostly I just watch sports on TV. Laura: I play tennis fairly regularly with my friends, and sometimes go swimming and cycling by myself. Peter: Oh, I forgot about that. I go cycling sometimes too. And I often go swimming on vacation, but only recreational swimming. Laura: Why don't you join me at the gym sometime? I can get you a guest pass. Peter: Well, maybe someday, but I'm pretty lazy about things like that. Questions: 1. What do you know about Peter? 2. Where might the two speakers have this conversation? 3. Why is Laura so keen on sports? 4. What can be inferred from the dialogue? dialogue one A: What's your plan for this evening? B: Well, there's a good game at the stadium but I haven't got a ticket yet. A: I'm going to the gym. Would you like to come along? I can get a guest pass for you. B: That's wonderful. I'd always wanted to work out in the new gym. Thank you very much. two A: Hi, Xiao Wang. Fancy meeting you here! How are you doing? B: Can't complain. I'm busy with my experiments in the lab. But after work I often play some sports. A: Like what? B: Like swimming, running and sometimes tennis. A: Tennis? That's my favorite game. Say, what're you doing this weekend? B: Nothing particular. I guess I'll probably just work in the lab. A: Come on. You need to relax. What about a game of tennis? B: OK. three A: Are you doing anything special tomorrow, Bob? B: Not really. Why do you ask? A: Some of us are going motorcycling. Would you like to join us? B: Motorcycling? I've never done that. It's dangerous. A: Maybe, but it's really exciting. B: I enjoy jogging. It's more relaxing. A: That's a good exercise. It can help you stay in shape. B: Yes, it's also safer.part C Watching a Game Alan: Going to the football game today, Betty? Betty: No, but I'll be watching it on television with some friends. Alan: Weren't you able to get any tickets? Betty: I didn't try. I really don't go to games so often. Alan: But don't you enjoy going? Don't you find it exciting to be part of the crowd? Betty: Oh sure, nothing beats the atmosphere at a sporting event: the cheering, all that energy. But sometimes it's just too inconvenient getting into and out of the stadium before and after the game. And if you watch the game with friends, or at a bar or restaurant ... Alan: ... you've basically created your own crowd. Betty: That's right. Another reason why I like to watch sports on television is that I simply find it easier to follow the action on TV. Alan: Yeah, sometimes it is a little difficult to keep track of the ball when you're sitting in the stands. Betty: Especially when your seats are high up in the grandstand, and far from the field. Alan: It's like you're watching from an airplane, sometimes. Betty: Also good sports commentators on television can add to your understanding and enjoyment of the game. Alan: After listening to you I'm starting to wonder how they are able to sell any tickets to these games! A poem Never give up, Never lose hope. Always have faith, It allows you to cope. Trying times will pass, As they always do. Just have patience, Your dreams will come true. So put on a smile, You'll live through your pain. Know it will pass, And strength you will gain part D NBA Fans Worldwide It'll be 9 a.m. when the Los Angeles Lakers and Philadelphia 76ers tip off the NBA Finals tonight in Los Angeles. But the early hour has not discouraged students at Beijing University from organizing a special viewing party to watch the game live. The young Chinese basketball fans will be joining an estimated 2.5 billion viewers worldwide who will be tuning in to the game, making up the biggest global audience for any basketball event in the history of the game. In other countries and other time zones, students in other universities will be hanging out together during the small hours to watch tonight's game and later games in the NBA Finals. The fantastic global reach of this year's Finals is the strongest proof that basketball is gaining a massive following throughout the world. More than 90 broadcasters from international networks have set up operations at Staples Center for tonight's opening joust. Among them are CCTV from China, Supersport cable channel from Greece, DSF from Germany, Canal Plus from France, NHK from Japan, and Israel's Channel 5. Coming to the Finals for the first time are MTV from Lebanon and ITV from Korea. Broadcasters will give their local viewers play-by-play accounts of the game in 41 languages, including Arabic, Bosnian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Maltese and Mandarin. This year is by far the biggest international audience for the Finals. The number of countries or regions signing on for the NBA Finals has risen from 100 seven years ago to 295 this year.A Solo Expedition I had prepared for the last big solo expedition of my life for two years. I had been tested by many difficult battles before: I had traveled alone to the North Pole in 1994 and across Antarctica by way of the South Pole in 1997. I was in top shape. I was ready for the 1,240-mile ski, walk, and swim from Russia to Canada. But the first week of the expedition almost defeated me. During the first night, the Arctic Ocean nearly swallowed my camp. On the second day, the sledge with all my supplies began to break. I spent the third day trying to repair it. I made over 200 holes and sewed the damaged parts together. Unfortunately, it didn't work. There was nothing I could do but to call for a new sledge. On day 12 a helicopter delivered it and I was able to go on. I maintained my sense of purpose. I set small goals, trying to move at least six miles north each day. I tried to find joy in solitude. That's the key to success on the ice. The right equipment was essential. I used traditional as well as high-tech tools. I navigated with the help of GPS. I called home on a satellite phone most days. My sledge weighed 365 pounds, loaded mostly with food and fuel bottles. And yes, there was also the only one change of underwear I brought.第二单元: part A 1. The weather today: a fine day is in store nearly everywhere, with the best of the sunshine in southern and central areas of Britain. A pleasant day, then, with long sunny periods developing. Light winds. There will be light winds with a maximum temperature of 18 degrees Celsius, 64 degrees Fahrenheit. Looking at the outlook for the next few days, it will become mostly cloudy with heavy showers moving in from the west. 2. A storm in Changchun, capital of Northeast China's Jilin Province, claimed four lives on Sunday. The storm lasted about three minutes from around 8 p.m. The winds reached speeds of over a hundred miles an hour, causing serious damage and a widespread power failure. part B one Weather forecasting is very important. When we know what the weather will be like, it will be easier for us to make plans for many activities. This is especially true when we have to do things outdoors or travel. two I think it is too much to ask for accurate weather forecasts at present. There are still quite a few things about the weather that we just don't understand. We have to further develop meteorological (气象的) science and related technologies. There is a long way to go before we can hope to have very accurate weather forecasts.Did You Hear the Weather Forecast? Alan: Oh, look at the sky, Michelle! It's starting to get cloudy. Michelle: I see it. I hope it doesn't rain. I thought it was going to be a fine day today. Alan: That's certainly what the department was hoping for when they chose today as the date for the annual picnic. Michelle: You can't have a picnic without good weather. You need sunshine for all the eating and games and entertainment. Alan: Yeah, sunshine -- but not too much! Do you remember last year? Michelle: I sure do. It was so hot all we did was look for shade, look for ways to escape from the sun. Alan: And no one wanted to participate in any of the planned activities. All we wanted was cold drinks. And then dozed off. Michelle: If there had been just the tiniest breeze to cool us off... Alan: But there wasn't. Just that burning sun, without a cloud in the sky, and the temperature just seemed to climb higher and higher. Michelle: Well, we don't have that problem this year, apparently. Alan, did you hear the weather forecast? Is it supposed to rain? Alan: I don't know. I didn't catch the weather report. But maybe if it rains, it will only be a short shower which cools things off a little. That might not be bad. Questions: 1. What are Alan and Michelle doing? 2. What can you infer from their talk? 3. What do you know about Alan? dialogue one A:What lovely weather we're having! Nice and cool. B:Yeah, I really like this kind of weather. A:What's the temperature today? B:About 26 degrees. The weather forecast says the good weather is likely to last, too. A:I hope so. two A:It seems to be clearing up. All the dark clouds are gone and the sun is coming out. B:Yes. Let's just hope it stays this way. I hate rainy days. A:I think it will continue to be fine for the next few days. Anyhow, that's what the weatherman says. B:That's great. Let's go for a walk, shall we? A:All right. three A:It's hot and humid, isn't it? I can hardly breathe. B:Yeah. I feel suffocating too. A:Are summers always this hot here? It's almost like in the desert. B:Yes, especially in July and August. A:Well, what did the weatherman say? B:He said another heat wave is on the way. A:Oh no! I hope not. B:How about going out to the beach to cool off? A:Good idea. Maybe it's the only place for this sort of weather. song: Hello, darkness, my old friend I've come to talk with you again Because a vision softly creeping Left its seeds while I was sleeping And the vision that was planted in my brain Still remains within the sound of silence In restless dreams I walked alone Narrow streets of cobblestone Beneath the halo of a street lamp I turned my collar to the cold and damp When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light That split the night and touched the sound of silence And in the naked light I saw Ten thousand people, maybe more People talking without speaking People hearing without listening People writing songs that voices never share And no one dare disturb the sound of silence &Fool,& said I, &You do not know Silence like a cancer grows Hear my words that I might teach you Take my arms that I might reach you.& But my words like silent raindrops fell And echoed in the wells of silence And the people bowed and prayed to the neon God they made And the sign flashed out its warning In the words that it was forming And the signs said:&The words of the prophets are written On the subway walls and tenement halls And whispered in the sound of silence.& part C A Thunderstorm Lili: Look, Betty, the sky has turned completely black! Betty: Oh, wow. A big thunderstorm is coming. But I guess it won't last long. Lili: Yeah, maybe for about twenty minutes or so it's going to seem like it's the end of the world. And then the sun will come out again. Betty: I like storms like this. Summer is dramatic. What do you think, Lili? Lili: Yes, these storms do come quite suddenly in the summer. I often seem to get caught without an umbrella. Betty: But it's not so terribly getting caught in the rain occasionally in the summer. Now if you got all wet during a cold, dreary winter day — that really would be horrible. Lili: True. Ah, it's starting to rain now. Here it comes. Yes, it's starting to pour. Betty: Here comes the lightning and thunder too. Lili: At least it's supposed to clear up later this afternoon, and to be fine this evening. Betty: That's good, because I'm going to meet some friends tonight. Lili: Well, most likely you will have a very pleasant evening, because this storm should take some of the humidity from the air. Betty: Yes, I must admit that these Chinese summers are very humid. Lili: More humid than in the US? Betty: Well, I can't speak about the whole country. But as far as New York goes, I'd say that the weather here in Shanghai tends to be hotter and more humid. Lili: But I think our winters are milder. Betty: Yes, I'm sure they are. We probably also get more snow in New York than you do here. Statements: 1. Caught in the rain, Lili and Betty were wet through. 2. The American girl has become used to the summers in Shanghai. 3. Betty expects to meet her friends before it clears up. 4. Summer in New York is less humid than it is in Shanghai. 5. Betty likes the weather in Shanghai better than that in New York. part D Weather Forecasting The weather was warm and clear in Oklahoma on May 3, 1999. Meteorologists at the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma did not sense anything serious would be coming. Yet only about seven hours later, as people headed home from work, the state was hit by the worst storms it had ever seen. Seven tornadoes with winds exceeding 300 miles per hour swept across the state, killing 48 people and injuring another 800. By the time the storms died later that night in Kansas, more than 4,400 houses had been destroyed and some 10,000 people were suddenly homeless. Weather reports predicted the first killer tornado only four minutes before it hit. Every year the American government spends $100 million for only one goal: to accurately forecast the weather as far in advance as possible. The National Weather Service maintains four satellites, 121 weather stations, a half-dozen specialized weather research centers, and a building full of the world's most advanced supercomputers, which operate 24 hours a day. To some extent, it has worked. In 2000, 24-hour-forecasts of rain were correct 69 percent of the time. But the weather service can't even guarantee the accuracy of three-day forecasts. And anyone who wants to know the weather seven days in advance might as well guess. Weather systems are so chaotic that it seems meteorology may always remain a maddeningly inexact science.Ideas about Education In the United States ideas about education are changing. Education today is not just a high school diploma or a college degree. Many grown-ups are not interested in going to college. They are interested in other kinds of learning. For them, learning does not end with a diploma. Continuing education gives these grown-ups the opportunity to increase their knowledge about their own field or to learn about a new field. It also gives them a chance to improve their old skills or to learn new ones. Secretaries, mechanics, drivers and barbers can take classes to improve their own skills. Nurses can take classes to increase their knowledge of nursing. If they know more or learn more, then they can get a better job and earn more money. Continuing education classes give some grown-ups the chances to learn new skills. There is usually a large variety of classes to choose from: typing, nursing, cooking, driving or photography. But only some of the classes are available. Questions: 1. What is this passage mainly about? 2. What are the changing ideas about education mentioned in the passage? 3. What can we learn from the passage?Destroy the Moon An American scientist thinks we should destroy the moon. He says that the earth has been moving along the same orbit for five billion years. There is no reason to believe that it is the best one when we consider its effect on our planet. According to the scientist's theory, if we changed the gravitation that controls the movement of the earth, we could put our planet into a better orbit. In the new orbit, the climate of the earth would be more satisfactory. The summers would not be so hot and the winters not so cold. There would not be so many storms. The easiest way to achieve this is to control the moon in one of five ways: 1) reduce
2) break it int 3) 4) get rid of or 5) cause part or all of the moon to land on the earth, probably near Antarctica. The scientist admits that the most difficult problem is how to persuade the world to give up the moon and interfere with the earth's climate. &We're used to our orbit, like an old pair of shoes,& he says. &Many people simply don't want to change their shoes.& 第三单元: part A 1. M: Have you ever been to that big restaurant opposite the school gate? W: Yes, many times. Whenever my friends come to visit me, I'll take them there to eat. Q: Does the woman enjoy the food in that restaurant? 2. W: Is there something wrong, sir? M: My wife and I have been kept waiting for nearly an hour for our meal. Q: Is the man satisfied with the restaurant's service? 3. W: Where is the cake I made this morning? M: We ate it, mom. Can you make another one for us? Q: Do the children like the cake? 4. W: I hear you like chicken very much. M: Next to beef. Q: Does the man like chicken best? 5. M: Have you tried this wine before? W: No, never. It's the first time, but it's really to my taste. Q: Does the woman like the wine? 6. M: John, do you want a soda? W: Soda? I think it tastes like medicine. Q: Does John want a soda? 7. W: Why, the fish is left almost untouched. M: Well, it would be good if it were less salty. Q: Does the man like the fish? 8. M: Hi, Sue, would you like to eat out tonight? W: Oh, I'd really like to, but my sister may come to visit me this evening. Q: Will Sue eat out with the man tonight? part B 1. My favorite food is vegetables and fruit. I like them because they are tasty, nutritious and easy to digest (消化). 2. No, I'm not. However, I don't like fat meat, so I usually avoid eating meat with too much fat or remove the fat part from the meat I eat. 3. I guess good table manners where I'm from are no different from those in most other parts of China. They include cleanliness (清洁), politeness, and sensitivity (敏感) to the needs of those who eat together with you. 4. Chinese table manners are different from Western table manners in several aspects. One example is that, to show kindness and hospitality (好客), many Chinese would put food with their own chopsticks (筷子) onto their guests' bowls or plates even though the guests indicated they do not want the food or so much of it. On the other hand, very few Westerners would do this. They would ask their guests to help themselves to the food they like.What about Dining Out? Peter: Hi, Kate. Kate: Hi, Peter. How have you been? Peter: Oh, OK, I guess. And you? Kate: Not too bad. We haven't seen each other for a while, have we? Peter: No, we haven't. So that makes me ask... Do you have any plans for this Saturday? Kate: No, not yet, I don't think so. Why? Peter: What do you think about getting together and going out to dinner this weekend? Kate: That would be great. Do you have any particular place in mind? Peter: Well, I think I'd like to eat something that's not too heavy. I've been eating a little too much lately. Kate: Me too. Peter: I love Italian food, but maybe we should skip that this time. They always seem to serve so much food in Italian restaurants, and you end up eating more than you wanted to. Kate: Chinese food would be good. Peter: Yes, or maybe some Japanese sushi. That style uses a lot of natural flavors, and not much oil or cream or heavy sauces. Kate: Yes, either of those choices would be good. Let's just meet on Saturday night, and decide then where to eat. Peter: That's fine by me. Questions: 1. What can be inferred about Peter and Kate? 2. What time do they plan to go out for a dinner? 3. What kind of food do they decide to eat for dinner? 4. Which of the following is true according to the dialogue? dialogue 1. A:What a crowd! B:This is the worst time. The morning classes are just over. Everybody is hungry and rushes here to have lunch. A:That's true. I'm starving and I can't wait. I'd rather not stand in a long line. B:Why don't we have some fried noodles with shredded pork and greens? Noodles are sold at No. 2 Box. No queue there, you see. A:That's great. 2. A: What can I do for you? B:I'll have one order of chicken nuggets and a chicken sandwich. A: Anything to drink? B:A small Sprite. No ice, please. A: Okay. For here or to go? B:For here Proverbs: 1. Eat to live and not live to eat. 2. Eat at pleasure, drink by measure. 3. When the wine is in, the wit is out. 4. When the meat is in, anger is out. 5. After dinner sit a while, after supper walk a mile. part C Eating Out A: Well, here we are — not too crowded. B: Great! Let's order quickly so we can chat a little. A: OK. What are you in the mood for? B: Something light. I went out for pizza at lunch and I'm still full. A: There are three salads. Or you could have soup and a sandwich. B: What are you having? A hamburger, I suppose. A: No, actually I ate out last night too, but we had fast food at McDonald's, then a late snack at Kentucky Fried Chicken. B: Oh, dear. Well, maybe you should have the chicken salad. A: Yes, I think so. Look, the daily special is spaghetti. That sounds good. B: Oh, the prices are great, too. I'll have that as well. A: Now let's decide on drinks. B: I'll just have coffee and a glass of iced water. A: Italian food needs red wine. you know. B: But we have to go back to work. A: OK, a Coke then. B: Here comes the waitress. Let me order first. Questions: 1. What is the relationship between the two speakers? 2. Where does the conversation take place? 3. What have they ordered? part D Chocolate — Friend or Foe? One of the few foods which appeals to people all over the world is chocolate. Developed by the Aztecs in South America, chocolate was brought to Europe by Spanish explorers around 1500 and soon became a fashionable drink. By the 19th century the Swiss had learned how to make it into a solid form which could be eaten rather than drunk. Chocolate bars rapidly became a popular snack for Europeans and people in most parts of the world. The word chocolate is the name for the Aztec goddess of love. It has always been one of the most popular gifts between lovers, especially on Valentine's Day. In fact, chocolate contains a chemical that can produce a feeling of pleasure and contentment. Compared with other sweet-tasting snacks, chocolate is probably healthier. It contains good levels of many nutritious elements. It is stimulating and energy-giving. Although its fat content is high, it is no higher than ice-cream and French fries. And recent research has shown that much of the fat content in it cannot be absorbed by the body and 75% of the saturated fat in chocolate contains a substance which actually helps digestion. However, if you eat too much chocolate, it will make you fat, as is true of many other foods. Questions: 1. Where was chocolate first produced? 2. According to the passage, which of the following is true about chocolate? 3. According to the passage, why is chocolate healthier than many other sweet-tasting foods? 4. What does the writer say about the fat content in chocolate? Food and Emotions You are what you eat, we often say. But two Canadian psychologists have made another discovery: you are what your emotion is, and your emotion determines what you eat. The two researchers chose 100 volunteers and asked them to keep track of their emotions and to write down the types of food they wanted to eat under different emotional states. Most of the people found that their food preferences are related to their different emotions. Some common emotions and the types of food are as follows: Loneliness: liquid foods,
Worry: cold sweet- Anger:
Happiness: soft food. There is very common agreement between foods and emotions. For example, anger is a hard emotion. When one is angry, he usually clenches his teeth. Thus, clenching the teeth would lead one to prefer hard, crunchy food. On the other hand, a soft emotion, such as happiness, might be more associated with soft food. So, are you lonely tonight? You may want to spend the night with a rich chocolate drink. 第四单元: part A 1: M: What's the trouble? W: I feel dizzy and my whole body aches. M: How long have you been sick? W: Two or three days now. M: How's your appetite? W: I've got no appetite. The sight of food simply turns my stomach. What's wrong with me? M: You seem to be generally run-down. Q: What is the most probable relationship between the two speakers? 2: W: What's the matter, Jack? You look pale. M: Oh, I feel terrible. W: Why? What's the matter? M: I have a splitting headache and a sore throat. W: Why didn't you tell me? M: I thought they might go away, but I feel worse this morning. I'm aching all over. W: Hmm. You feel warm, too. You must have got a fever. There's a pretty bad flu going around, you know. Q: What is the most probable relationship between the two speakers? part B 1: There are lots of things we can do to keep fit. We should take regular exercise. We should have a healthy diet. We should keep a proper balance between work and rest. And we should also avoid acquiring unhealthy habits. 2: There's no question about it. Health is more important than good grades or a successful career because first of all, good health is esse second, you can always try to get good grades or have a successful career so long as you maintain your health, but when you lose your health, you will most likely lose you and third, it's simply a bad deal to trade health for the so-called good grades or successful career.Going to See the Doctor D: So what's your trouble? P: Well, doctor, I haven't been feeling well lately. My biggest problem is that I'm having trouble sleeping. D: Have you tried any of the sleeping medications available? P: I've tried one or two, but they don't seem to help. D: How long have you had this problem? P: Three or four months -- it's been rather a long time now. D: Are you suffering from an unusual level of stress in your life lately? P: Not more than usual. My biggest worry is the fact I can't sleep. D: Well, some people don't need as much sleep as others. P: But I feel tired all day, so it is a problem for me. D: Have you been experiencing any other symptoms? P: I've also had a lot of indigestion lately. D: Well, you are a little overweight, aren't you? P: Yes. And I've gained about seven kilograms this past year. D: You really should try to lose at least that extra weight. Do you get much exercise? P: No, not very much. D: Physical activity is very important. P: So what do you recommend, doctor? D: I will give you some medication for your insomnia and your indigestion. But I also recommend that you begin a regular exercise program. P: But I have neither the time nor the money to go to a gym. D: You don't need to go to a gym. A simple walking program would be very beneficial for you. I think you'll find that diet and exercise will be very helpful in taking care of your recent complaints. Questions: 1. What is probably the main cause of the patient's insomnia? 2. What is probably the most appropriate way for the woman to keep fit? 3. What is the doctor's advice to the patient? 4. What can we infer from the conversation? dialogue 1: A:What's wrong with you? B:I have a burning stomachache. And I feel like vomiting, too. A:How long has it been like this? B:Since yesterday. A:What did you eat yesterday? Did you eat sea food? B:Yes. I had some crabs at lunch and then I just felt terrible. A:Yours seems to be a minor case of food poisoning. B:What do you think I should do, doctor? A:I'll give you some medications for your stomachache and indigestion. And don't eat any sea food for the next week or so. B:I won't, doctor. Thank you. 2: A:What seems to be the problem? B:I hurt my left foot yesterday. I missed one step while coming down the stairs. A: (after examining the foot) You have a sprained ankle. It's slightly swollen. How does it feel? B:Rather painful there. What should I do, doctor? A:I'll give you an X-ray to see if there is anything wrong with the bone.song: You took me right out of the blue Simply by showing that you love me too Only by giving me your everything With a love so true you took me out of the blue I was wondering what love was all about I was trying but couldn't work it out But then you came along to my surprise And made my frozen mind come alive You took me right out of the blue Simply by showing that you love me too Only by giving me your everything With a love so true you took me out of the blue You let me out of the darkness You brought me out in the sun I think you must be the only one for me 'cos you took me Right out of the blue Simply by showing that you love me too Only by giving me your everything Breathing air below my wings You took me right out of the night Simply by filling my heart with light Only by giving me your energy With a love so true you took me out of the blue part C Eating Apples You probably know a famous saying about the importance of eating apples. It is, &An apple a day keeps the doctor away.& Now, a new American study shows eating apples may help fight cancer, too. Research scientists at Cornell University in New York say a combination of chemicals found in apples is important for good health. The study shows that the combination of chemicals plays an important part in anti-cancer activity. The scientists say the chemicals are in both the skin and the flesh of apples. Results of the study were reported in the publication Nature. The Cornell researchers studied the chemicals, or extracts, taken from the skin and flesh of red apples grown in New York State. They studied the effectiveness of the apple extracts in fighting cancer. The researchers treated colon (结肠) cancer cells with fifty milligrams of apple extract (苹果汁). Extracts from the apple skin reduced the growth of cancer cells by forty-three percent. Extracts from the fruit's flesh reduced the growth of cancer cells by twenty-nine percent. The researchers also treated human liver (肝) cancer cells with apple extract. Extracts from the apple skin reduced the growth of those cells by fifty-seven percent. Extracts from the fleshy part of the apple reduced the cancer cells by forty percent. Lead researcher Liu Ruihai said scientists have long known that apples are good for human health. He says some scientists are interested in testing single vitamins or other substances to see if they alone fight disease. He says his study shows no single substance works alone to reduce cancer. Instead, the combination of chemicals in apples is effective and eating fruit and vegetables is better than taking extra vitamin pills. Statements: 1. A study shows eating apples may be beneficial to curing cancer. 2. The effectiveness of the apple consists in a combination of chemicals found in it. 3. The research shows that the extracts from the apple flesh are more effective than those from the apple skin in reducing the growth of colon cancer cells. 4. In terms of treating liver cancer cells, extracts from the apple skin produce better results than those from the fleshy part of the apple. 5. Mr Liu says that eating fruit and vegetables is almost as good as taking extra vitamin pills. part D Anorexia Experts say about 1% of young women in the United States are almost starving themselves today. They are suffering from a sickness called anorexia. These young women have an abnormal fear of getting fat. They purposely starve themselves so they weigh at least 15% less than their normal weight. The National Institute of Mental Health says one in ten cases of anorexia leads to serious medical problems. These patients can die from heart failure or the disease can lead young women to kill themselves. For example, former gymnast Christy Henrich died at age 22. She weighed only 61 pounds. A person with anorexia first develops joint and muscle problems. There is a lack of iron in the blood. As the sickness progresses, a young woman's breathing, heartbeat, and blood pressure rates slow down. The important substance calcium is lost from the bones, sometimes causing bones to break. Sometimes the brain gets smaller, causing changes in how a person thinks and acts. Scientists say many patients have further mental and emotional problems. They have poor opinions about themselves. They feel helpless. Their attempts to become extremely thin may represent efforts to take control of their lives. They may suffer from fearfulness or continual deep sadness called depression. They may become dependent on illegal drugs. Some people also feel the need to continually repeat an action. For example, they may repeatedly wash their hands although their hands are clean. Anorexia is a serious eating disorder. If it is not treated on time, it can be fatal. Questions: 1. According to the passage, how many young American women are suffering from anorexia? 2. Which of the following is not mentioned as a problem related to anorexia? 3. According to the passage, why is there a change in some anorexia patients' way of thinking and doing things? 4. Which of the following is one of the mental and emotional problems that many patients of anorexia have? 5. What do we learn from the passage?Bill Gates Bill Gates is a world-famous person who has done a lot to revolutionize the personal computer. On Oct. 28, 1955 he was born into a family with rich history in business, politics and community service. When Gates was 31 years old, he became America's youngest billionaire and now his wealth is estimated at 62 billion dollars. From his early school days, he was the school's best mathematician and he had a photographic memory. His parents recognized his intelligence and decided to enroll him in Lakeside, a private school known for its intense academic environment. This decision had far-reaching effects on Bill Gates's life. For it was at Lakeside that Gates was first introduced to computers. Gates's big break came when he was studying at Harvard University. He's heard that a computer company needed software with which to run its machine. For six weeks he worked day and night with his colleague Paul Allen together creating &Basic&. It turned out to be a success. It was accepted, and so Gates left Harvard and set up his company Microsoft. He then went on to develop DOS and Windows. Today, four-fifths of the computers in the world run on either DOS or Windows. Gates's company Microsoft now employs more than 48,000 people in 60 countries. Even so, Gates still admits to getting as much excitement from technology as he does from running the business side of things. He says, &I still love technology. I can sit and play with software all night long and read a science magazine all night long.& Questions: 1. According to the passage, which of the following is not one of the things that Bill Gates's family is noted for? 2. Which subject was Bill Gates best at in school? 3. What do we learn from the passage about the Microsoft Company? 4. Which of the following is true about Bill Gates?Organ Transplant Fourteen years ago, a dying liver patient lay in a hospital. There were almost no vital signs in her. Some people thought there was no hope for her and were preparing for her death. A team of doctors came to examine her. In a test, they noticed a minor response on one eyelid. Without hesitation, they sent the patient down to the operating room, removed a liver from a brain-dead patient, and sewed it into her. Today, the woman is still alive. She would certainly have died without the operation. She was lucky in two ways: she was treated and an organ happened to be available at the time. Organ transplant operations have saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. But where do those healthy organs come from? At present, they come mainly from two sources: living donors and dead people. Now the big problem is that far fewer organs are available than needed. A donor's own life will be endangered when he gives away his organ. The organ of a dead person is good for transplant only within a very short time of his death. Nevertheless, the future of organ transplant is bright. With the development of new techniques, it will be possible to use animal organs to treat humans. The question then is what animal. The animal closest to man is the chimpanzee. But the chimpanzees are not acceptable because their number is too small. The most likely source, then, is the pig. It is hoped that pigs will serve human beings in the future in more ways than they used to. 第五单元: part A 1. Most people like music. In fact, we are surrounded by it. It's on the radio and television and can be heard in stores and offices. However, not everyone likes the same kind of music. 2. The manager of the music shop was called Brian Epstein. Because so many people had asked for a record by the Beatles, Epstein decided to go and listen to the group himself. 3. Firstly I would like to talk about classical music and its representative composers, then I will move on to jazz music, and finally I will focus on pop music in the last century. 4. We listen to exciting music and our hearts beat faster, our blood pressure rises, and our blood flows more quickly. In short, we're stimulated. part B 1: Music affects my emotions. Different types of music would produce different emotional effects on me. Light music, music that is melodious, sweet and soothing, usually makes me feel relaxed. On the other hand, loud, fast, strongly rhythmic music would excite me. 2: I sometimes do this even though I guess it might not be a very good habit. The bad thing about listening to music while studying is that it would make it hard for you to concentrate on your work. It would divert your attention (分散注意力). This is especially true when you have to do some really hard thinking. 3: Music plays a very important role in my life. It entertains me. It makes me feel relaxed after a day's work. It serves as an interesting topic to talk about with my friends and also a tool for making friends. People who make music also interest me. So do things like what singers performed what new songs, gave what type of concerts where, did what funny things, fell in love with whom, or broke up with whom. Basically, music makes life more interesting to me.Background Music Background music may seem harmless, but it can have a powerful effect on those who hear it. Recorded background music first found its way into factories, shops and restaurants in the USA. Very soon it spread to other parts of the world. Now it is becoming difficult to go shopping or eat a meal without listening to music. To begin with, background music was intended simply to create a soothing atmosphere. Recently, however, it's become a big business. An American marketing expert has shown that music can boost sales or increase factory production by as much as a third. But it has to be the light music. Lively music has no effect at all on sales. Slow music can increase receipts by 34%. This is probably because shoppers slow down and have more opportunity to spot items they would like to buy. Yet, slow music isn't always the answer. The expert found that in restaurants slow music meant customers took longer to eat their meals, which reduced overall sales. So restaurant owners might be well advised to play faster music to keep the customers moving -- unless, of course, the resulting indigestion leads to complaints. Questions: 1. Where was recorded background music first used? 2. What was the original purpose of background music? 3. What kind of music can have a powerful effect on customers in shops? 4. Why doesn't the same kind of music work in restaurants according to the passage? dialogue 1: A:Do you like pop music? B:I'm crazy about it. A:What's your favorite pop song? B:It's hard to say. There are so many beautiful songs. A:Who's your favorite singer then? B:Celine Dion, undoubtedly. I do admire her, you know. I love all her songs. A:I like her, too, but not that much. 2: A:Do you care for operas? B:Yes, I do, very much. A:Which do you like better, opera or musicals? B:Opera. A:Do you just listen to it or go to performances? B:I prefer going to a performance. It has everything, color and spectacle and great music. A:Why don't we go and see Aida together? It's being performed at the Grand Theater. B:I've seen it already. It's excellent. A:Oh, lucky you! 3: A:Do you enjoy listening to music? B:Yes, very much. I enjoy listening to music more than any other pastime. A:What's your favorite music? B:It depends. When I am in a good mood, I'd prefer something exciting, with a fast rhythm. But if I feel low, I can only listen to something soft and quiet. A:Mmm, me too. song: Every night in my dreams I see you, I feel you, That is how I know you go on Far across the distance And spaces between us You have come to show you go on Near, far, wherever you are I believe that the heart does go on Once more you open the door And you're here in my heart And my heart will go on and on Love can touch us one time And last for a lifetime And never let go till we're gone Love was when I loved you One true time I hold to In my life we'll always go on Near, far, wherever you are I believe that the heart does go on Once more you open the door And you're here in my heart And my heart will go on and on You're here, there's nothing I fear, And I know that my heart will go on We'll stay forever this way You are safe in my heart And my heart will go on and on part C Celine Dion Celine Dion is the youngest of 14 children in a working-class family in Quebec, Canada. Her parents, who both loved music, encouraged her to develop her musical talent. At 12, Celine had composed the song &It Was Only a Dream&. Her mother and brother helped her to make a recording of that song and sent it off to an address they found on an album of a popular French singer. The address was that of Rene Angelil, who became her first conquest, but there would be millions more. Celine's rise from a teenage singer to a pop superstar has been steady, but not without difficulties. Record companies were at first less enthusiastic about investing in a teenager than Angelil, who mortgaged his own home to pay for her first album. But her first two albums won a great success. And by 1983 she became the first Canadian ever to have a gold record in France. In 1990, Celine made her first English language record with Unison but her real breakthrough in America came when she was selected by Disney to sing the theme song of Beauty and the Beast. The song went to No. 1 on the chart and won both a Grammy and an Academy award. In 1996 she performed at the opening ceremonies of the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games and in 1997, she recorded the theme song for Titanic, and her name became synonymous with the enormously successful film. Celine Dion's favorite theme is love. She sings the depth and the power of love in a great many of her hits such as &Love Can Move Mountains&, &Because You Loved Me&, &The Power of Love& and, of course, the theme song of Titanic, &My Heart Will Go On&. part D Music Style Musical works and their composers are usually described as belonging to a specific era. The six major periods of music are Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and 20th Century. Each period has its own representative composers and its own distinctive music style. Bach, for example, wrote &Baroque& music, Beethoven and Mozart wrote classical music, and Chopin was a &romantic& composer. These terms serve as a sort of shorthand to tell us that a music piece shares aspects of style with other pieces written at roughly the same time. Music of particular period reflects broad changes in society and culture that influenced the way music was written, performed, and heard. During the 20th century, some composers of the traditional school made a conscious decision to distance themselves from the styles and values of the past. As the French composer Claude Debussy said, &The century of the airplane ought to have its own music.& But other composers were equally enthusiastic in trying to return to some aspects of the past, especially the elements of the classical style. On the other hand, popular music, especially jazz, country and rock became the central musical focus of the majority of people in the world. There was also a growing interest among musicians in the music of other cultures. A new &world music& style started to emerge. This style, which freely mixed elements from various cultures, helped to promote global communication. Statements: 1. Among others, the six major periods of music include Classical and 20th Century. 2. The most famous representative composers of classical music are Beethoven and Mozart. 3. According to the speaker, music styles are closely related to social and cultural changes in different periods. 4. During the 20th century, the majority of composers followed the same style of music. 5. Popular music includes country music and rock music. 6. The &world music& style was created by a group of musicians when they tried to write a music piece together.Fast Music Is Better To play music or not to play music, that is the question. Managers of offices, shops, and warehouses have asked that question for years. Now new research from a university says that even though employees do not like background music, it may make them work better. The research shows that people buy more goods in the supermarket when the music there is slow and people eat faster in a restaurant where the music is fast. A test showed that students studied better with fast music. When they had fast background music, the students correctly did 30 percent more math problems than when they had slow music. In fact, silence was better than slow music - 150 correct answers with slow music and 180 correct answers with no music. Researchers believe slow music has a relaxing effect. People feel calm and less hurried when they hear slow music. Sometimes they even become sleepy. But fast music is stimulating and it helps people concentrate on what they are doing. &Some say that rock music will die,& one researcher says. &Don't believe them. It will never die because it makes people work faster and better.& 第六单元: part A Identifying the Major Event in a Conversation W: Here we are, Mr. Wang. This is a newly-built building. M: What a fine building! How many floors are there? W: Forty. Our company has offices on four floors in the building. M: Yours is really a big company. W: Yes, it is. The sales office is on the first floor. The marketing and accounting offices are on the second floor. And we have many other departments: personnel, research, etc. They are all on the 8th floor. M: Where's the manager's office? W: It's on the 9th floor. Questions: 1. What is the probable relationship between the speakers? 2. What are they doing? 3. On which floors are the offices of the company? part B 1: I believe employers usually like to have employees that are honest, loyal, competent and hard-working. 2: In order to be an effective business leader, one must have a number of qualities. The most basic of these, I believe, include abilities to make sound judgement and to communicate effectively, professional skills, and far-sightedness.Who Is to Be Promoted? (The Personnel Department is having a meeting. Joan Black is the chairperson of the meeting. ) Joan: I think John Jeffrey's already been with the company for 20 years. Surely he's not still expecting promotion. Do you agree, Peter? Peter: Well, in my opinion, John's always shown great loyalty to the company. It's time this was rewarded. What do you think, Clive? Clive: It's not just a question of loyalty. Would he be any good at the job? He would need to manage a small team -- he's got no experience of that yet. Peter: He never will have any experience unless we give him a chance! Joan: We can't afford to be sentimental. I don't think he's the man for the job. He's always been a follower, not a leader. Let's move on to the other candidates. Rita Hayden has already shown great personnel management skill, I feel, even if she's ... Peter: Oh, come on, Joan! Rita's still learning her trade! We can't afford to take a risk with someone so inexperienced. Clive: I agree with Peter. I favor Susan Palmer. She's got a lot of experience. She's already worked in the department on other occasions so she knows the ropes and she's ... Joan: But Susan's always struck me as a bit cautious. We need someone dynamic for this job. Peter: I'd agree with Clive. I think Susan Palmer would do a good job. Maybe she's a bit cautious but she's solid, reliable... We need those qualities too. Joan: Well, if you're both so sure, I suppose I'll have to agree. Still, we'll wait a week before confirming it just in case any other applicants put their names forward. Questions: 1. What are the speakers doing? 2. What position is vacant in this company? 3. What is the most important quality this position requires, according to Joan? 4. Why has John Jeffrey not been promoted? 5. Why couldn't the company give John a chance? dialogue 1: A:Hi, Rose. How do you like your new job? B:Very much. Ours is a very good company to work for. Working there is fun. A:That's great. What sort of work do you do? B:I'm in sales. A:How many hours do you have to work? B:I have flexible working hours. But on average I work about 10 hours a day. A:Do you get a good pay? B:Quite good. The company pays its employees well, I should say. most of us in sales earn about 3,000 yuan a month. A:What about bonus? B:We usually get 5,000 yuan as bonus at year end. You know, we're rewarded for our accomplishments and contributions. A:Sounds like a good job. 2: A:What does your father do, Phil? B:He works in the marketing department in a joint venture company. He's the manager. A:Does he like his job? B:He's proud of it. Their products are exported to over 20 different countries. The company made a profit of ten million dollars last year. A:Your father must be working very hard. B:Sure. He often has to work overtime. He seems never home for dinner. A:And he still loves his job? B:Well, the work is rewarding. Besides, the benefits are good. A:Like what? B:Well, the usual things, life insurance, health care, retirement plan, plus a 2-week paid holiday. A:Mmm. Not bad, not bad at all. song: You are the candle love's the flame A fire that burns through wind and rain Shine your light on this heart of mine till the end of time You came to me like the dawn through the night Just shining like the sun Out of my dreams and into my life You are the one, you are the one Said I loved you but I lied 'Cause this is more than love I feel inside Said I loved you but I was wrong 'Cause love could never ever feel so strong Said I loved you but I lied With all my soul I've tried in vain How can there words my heart explain This taste of heaven so deep so true I've found in you so many reasons in so many ways My life has just begun Need you forever and I need you to stay You are the one, you are the one Said I loved you but I lied 'Cause this is more than love I feel inside Said I loved you but I was wrong 'Cause love could never ever feel so strong Said I loved you but I lied You came to me like the dawn through the night Just shining like the sun Out of my dreams and into my life You are the one, you are the one Said I loved you but I lied 'Cause this is more than love I feel inside Said I loved you but I was wrong 'Cause love could never ever feel so strong Said I loved you 'cause this is more than love I feel inside Said I loved you but I lied part C A Good Salesman Mr Stevenson was the owner of a general appliance store. He had seen many newly-weds coming into his store to shop for their first refrigerator, washer and dryer, and air-conditioner. Pen and pencil in hand, they would ask him a lot of questions about price, features and after-sale services, but they would usually walk away at the end of their inquiry. The other day a young couple came into his store. They asked him all the usual questions and he answered all of them patiently. But when he suggested an order at the end, they replied firmly, &We'll have to look around places first.& Although feeling a bit disappointed, Mr Stevenson did not show it. Instead, he smiled, moved closer and said, &I know you will go to Discount Dan to look at the price tags. That's perfectly understandable. I do the same. In fact, they sell the same stuff as we do. But if you buy things there, there is something you will not get. And that is me. I come with everything I sell. I've been in the business for thirty years and in a few years' time I'm going to give my store to my daughter and son-in-law. I hope they will carry on the family business. I stand behind everything I sell and I will make sure that you will never regret buying things from me.& After this short speech Mr Stevenson offered the young couple some ice cream to thank them for their interest. Impressed by his honesty and sincerity, the young couple decided to place an order. Questions: 1. What did Mr Stevenson's store sell? 2. Why did many newly-weds usually walk away at the end of their inquiry? 3. Which of the following best describes Mr Stevenson's attitude towards customers? 4. What was Mr Stevenson's response to the young couple's refusal? 5. Why did the young couple finally decide to place an order? part D Working in a Big Corporation In the center of a big city there are usually dozens of large office buildings that house big banks, corporation headquarters, and government agencies. Thousands of people work in these buildings. People who do all the office work are called white-collar workers. Secretaries and receptionists, bookkeepers and computer operators work for many different kinds of companies. Many office workers dream of working their way up to the top, from clerk to president of a corporation. The way lies through middle management. Middle management includes junior executives, who may fill specialized jobs, supervise other workers, recommend action to top management, or see that the company's policies are being carried out. At the very top are senior executives. They establish the policies for their companies, especially financial matters. The Chief Executive Officer, or CEO, of a large corporation has a great deal of power and influence. It is believed that one can start out at the bottom and go all the way to the top. Because financial matters are so important, some accountants become top executives. In companies where technology is important, people with engineering background can also rise to the top. Nowadays, however, education plays a central part in the selection of people for management jobs. Universities in many countries offer courses in business administration. The graduates of these courses often start out in middle management jobs. From there, they can easily get promoted if they show the necessary personality and ability. Questions: 1. Which of the following is not given in the passage as an example of a white-collar worker? 2. According to the passage, which of the following would be an example of working all the way from the bottom to the top of a corporation? 3. According to the writer, what are the responsibilities of middle management? 4. At what level do business administration graduates usually start out? 5. According to the passage, what type of employees are more likely to get a promotion?I Had a Much Nicer Father,than You'll Ever Have Bill was 18 years old. Although he had left school he preferred living in the comfort of his parents' home. He said that he was trying to find a job but there never seemed to be one that he thought good enough for him. Bill's father, Mr James, didn't see him very often because he worked quite a distance from home and was in the habit of leaving home early before B and when he got home in the evenings, Bill was usually somewhere else, amusing himself with a few of his friends. But Mr James sometimes saw Bill at weekends, and then he was always angry with him. He used to say to him, &Why are you never at home in the evening? Who ever would give you a job with your dirty hair?& and so on. &But father,& Bill said, &all my friends are like me nowadays, and if I changed, I wouldn't be popular with them anymore.& One Saturday morning, Mr James said to Bill while they were having their usual argument, &Bill, you should be ashamed to live like that. I was brought up quite differently. When I was at your age, my father never allowed me to do any of the things that you do all the time. I was forbidden to stay out till midnight and come down
I was not allowed to grow a beard, nor wear gold chains.& He went on and on till Bill said kindly, &Poor father, my grandfather died before I was born. I never met him. But he must have been a terrible old man.& &Not at all!& Mr James objected angrily. &I had a much nicer father than you'll ever have!& Statements: 1. Bill usually left home early and came back late because he was looking for a job together with his friends. 2. Bill seemed to be good for nothing. 3. The relationship between Mr James and his son was just like that between Mr James and his father. 4. At weekends Mr James would try to give his son some advice about how to find a job. 5. Bill cared more about his friends' opinion of him than his father's opinion. 6. Even though he tried to, Mr James didn't know how to control his son.Young Business Leaders A: It seems that more and more companies are headed by very young people. Many of them are only in their twenties and are already leading highly successful companies. Do you think their style of management is different from the traditional type of leadership? B: I certainly think so. Many of them run their business as they would run a family. I believe they are more involved in their companies and are more interested in what they can achieve for the good of the world. They don't seem to be as interested in the business as just a way to become rich as the older generations are. A: Can you give me some examples of their different leadership style? B: Sure. How about this: young bosses sometimes let their employees bring their children to work, even their pets? Very often, they make decisions on the basis of what will be best for their employees instead of what is best for the business. A: I guess young people are more idealistic, so when they have the drive and talent to start a business of their own, they also feel free to manage it in ways that they believe are best. Do you think these young business people are more ethical than business owners and managers in past generations? B: Yes, I really do. Businesses in the past haven't been concerned about their employees' personal needs. These young leaders must have heard their parents complain about their working situations as they were growing up. Now that they can do things the way they want, they want to change things for the better. 第七单元: part A M: Excuse me, do you have a T-shirt of this kind in a larger size? W: What size do you want? M: Medium. W: Pardon? M: I want a medium. W: Here's a medium in black. Do you like it? M: Well, I like the picture on the front, but I'd prefer a white one with a slogan on the front. W: Here's a white one in medium. And it's 100% cotton. M: Perfect. I'll take it. part B 1: It has a great deal to do with the influence of advertising and peer (同伴) pressure. Many young people want to be cool (酷). They want to be in fashion. They want to show that they have good taste. So they will choose to buy things that are heavily advertised by famous, attractive models. They also want to be popular with their friends. If their friends often talk about or use products under certain brands, they will want to have the same things. 2: It is very common for people to judge others by the clothes they wear. In theory (理论 上), we all know it's not the best type of thing to do. But in practice, most of us do so, especially when we try to form some opinion of a person that we meet for the first time. Imagine: what kind of a person would you think one is if she is wearing clothing that exhibits most of her body, or if her clothes cover every inch of her body except her eyes? A friend of mine once told me that, when she was asking people for advice on how to handle a job interview, she got a wide variety of suggestions, but nobody ever forgot to tell her to wear formal, nice-looking clothes for the interview. See what I mean? 3: A: Yes, I do. There is truth in the saying. Clothes can create an image for the person who wears them. They send a message about a person's tastes, values (价值观), personality, status, and so on. That's why people say &you are what you wear.& On a more practical level, clothes may also help make a person look better and feel better. B: No, I don't. The function of clothes is to cover the human body and keep the body warm, nothing more. I find those people snobbish (势利的) or stupid who judge others only by the clothes they wear. I hope people will treat me for what I am, not for what I wear. I will do the same to other people.Fashion -- Image or Reality? Why do people spend so much money on fashion? Do they want to create an image or make sure they are not old-fashioned? Do people really judge each other by the clothes they wear? The billion-dollar fashion industry certainly tries to convince consumers that such judgments are made. Unfortunately, they may be right. A recent study using elementary school students was interesting. They said that people wearing Calvin Klein designer jeans were more handsome and successful than those wearing Wranglers. Levi-wearers were seen as sporty, fashionable and fun! Obviously we learn early that &Clothes make the man.& In other words, clothes show age, outlook, status and income. However, clothes that look great on professional models may look terrible on the average buyer. Although beautiful clothes don't help physically, they are important for social and psychological effects. Expensive clothes can make the wearer feel like part of the high status group that sets taste and style. So you are buying an image of success. You may really live a routine life, waking up in the morning feeling dull and ordinary. But when you dress in these expensive clothes, your mood brightens. You feel good, ready to face another day with energy. Sound crazy? People who love clothes say it's true. Of course, a lot of people don'

我要回帖

更多关于 with my friend 的文章

随机推荐