thank to your great help,i managed tobe overcome withm

Holly Black — who is awesome —
concerning a recent shibboleth floating about regarding a cabal of young adult authors (“the YA Mafia”) who some writers in the field apparently believe will go out of their way to crush under their Doc Martens those writers who would do anything untoward to a member of the YA Mafia, like, say, write something negative about one of their books.
Holly for her part denies the existence of a YA Mafia — but then she would, wouldn’t she — and also points out that even if such a cabal of writers did exist, sniggering nefariously in the shadows, the chance of them actually being able to crush someone else’s career is nil, because, honestly, that’s not how it works in the real world — not in the least because, as Holly notes: “writers are basically lazy and impractical
We live in our heads a lot and we can barely get it together to
do anything.
Seriously, it took me until after 3pm yesterday to get
myself a sandwich.”
First, I want to agree with her wholeheartedly on the lazy thing, because for the last week I’ve been subsisting on Nature Valley Fruit and Nut Bars, not because I’m in love with their sticky, graintastic goodness but because at this point, the thought of having to shove something into the microwave to cook it fills me with such a sense of ennui even just typing those words makes me tired.
Second, this wave of anxiety is part of a recurring theme in the writeosphere, in which it is posited that those people with some measure of success actively and jealously guard their perks and privileges against the smudgy others mewling on the other side of the gate, and collude to maintain the status quo, and so on and so forth, back, back you mangy animals! Right now this fear is erupting in YA circles, but it’s been everywhere else, too. It’s not new, and it’s not news.
So in the interest of explaining why it’s unlikely that any group of successful writers is colluding to keep you down, let me offer up an example of just the sort obnoxious bastard writer who would want to keep the rabble at bay, namely me.
So, hi, I’m your basic reasonably successful author type, and despite being lazy enough to grumble how how awful it is that I have to unwrap my granola bar before I can eat it, my daily schedule is not unpacked. On a daily basis I write a couple thousand words on whatever novel I’m writing,
crank out two or three blog posts, check in with SFWA in my capacity as the organization’s president and take care of what needs to be addressed that day, do other paid copy not related to novels, take the dog out on at least two walks, answer e-mail and other correspondence, make business-related phone calls to agents, editors and such, spend time with wife, child and pets, occasionally leave the house for errands, read the entire Internet, maybe also some portion of a book, update Livejournal and Twitter, kill me some zombies, eat, ablute and sleep. That’s not on days when I’m traveling, mind you, during which I often do many of these things and also hurl myself across the country at several hundred miles an hour.
That being my schedule, let me ask you: Where do you propose I slide in fucking with your career?
Because, I gotta tell you, after everything else I do on a daily basis, I don’t have a lot of time left over to take your dreams, lovingly cradle them in my arms and then just when they feel safe fling them into a pit filled with gasoline and napalm and laugh boisterously while they shrivel and burn. I mean, sure, I suppose I could cut back on reading the Internet or headshooting the undead and pencil you in there, but you know, I really do love reading Gizmodo, and those pesky zombies won’t kill themselves (again). If I have to choose, I’m going with tech blog reading and Left 4 Dead.
It’s nothing personal. It’s not like I’m saying that thwarting your career isn’t important. Indeed, that’s just the thing: If I have decided that what I really need to do is to block your every entryway into the world of publishing, you better believe I’m gonna focus. It’s going to be my new hobby to make every single day of your life a miserable cesspool of unremitting woe. And that’s not something you can just do in five minutes a day, or whatever. No, that shit’s hand-crafted and detailed-oriented, and that takes time. Lots and lots and lots of time. Nor am I going to farm it out t no, when I come for you and your career, you’re going to see me coming from a long way off, and you’re going to have lots of time to think about just what I’m going to do to you before I stand in front of you. Giving you lots of time to think about what I’m going to do to you is what makes it fun.
But I have to say: unless I’ve decided to give you that level of personal, absolutely terrifyingly psychotic attention, eh, I’m just not going to bother messing with your career. Because, again: who has the time? I don’t. No one does, except for people who are, in fact, absolutely and terrifyingly psychotic, and very few of them are successful enough at publishing that they are the people these other folks are paranoid about. Even if they were, they wouldn’t start a cabal. Terrifying psychotics get along with each other about as well as cats in a bag. It’s well-nigh part of the definition of “terrifying psychotics.”
Yes: There is the occasional writer who gets their undies all bunched up about a review and then goes on a passive-aggressive public rampage about it. Authors are often neurotic. This should not be news. But what can they really do to you or your career? Short of doing something will get them rightfully thrown into jail, pretty much not a damn thing. Because you know what? It’s not the way it works in the real world.
Let’s go back a couple of paragraphs to where I got all steroid-y about the level of woe I would rain down upon you if I decided to make you my personal project. Sure, I talk a good game up there — I’ve got a way with words, you know — but in the real world, how would that play out? Let’s whip up scenarios, here:
STEROID SCALZI MEETS WITH HIS EDITOR:
Me: There’s this writer who I hate with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. Never ever publish her. I am Scalzi. You must heed my words.
Editor: Well, I will take that under consideration (makes mental note that I have finally crossed the line from “reasonable human” to “text-extruding asshole who must be managed”).
STEROID SCALZI MEETS WITH OTHER WRITERS:
Me: There is a writer whom I wish to destroy. Join me in my quest to smoosh his career like a grape caught under a high school cafeteria table wheel.
Other writers: Send us an e-mail about that (make mental notes to avoid me in the future, because I am clearly a mean drunk).
STEROID SCALZI MEETS WITH A REVIEWER:
Me: If you do not give this writer whom I despise a soul-shriveling review, then never again will I have my publicist send you advance copies of my work. EVER.
Reviewer: I’ll remember that (crosses me off the list of people he reviews, reviews someone who is not a dick instead).
STEROID SCALZI COMMUNICATES WITH THE INTERNET:
Me: ARRRGH MINIONS MUST SMASH POOPY WRITER WHO POOPS DO MY BIDDING YOU DARK LOVELIES
Internet: Dude, you’re kind of a prick.
And so on. Look, when you’re an asshole to people, then other people know it. And while people generally will not stop you from being an asshole, if such is your joy, they’re also not going to go out of their way to help you. Humans see assholes as damage and route around them. So much for mafias and cabals.
One final thing to remember is every presumed cabal member is someone who was outside looking in, and probably not as far back as you think. I do like reminding people that my first novel was published in 2005, which was six years ago. Six years is not a lot of time to go from schmooging one’s face against the glass of the cabal HQ to being well into the cabal itself. Perhaps it’s more accurate to note instead that the idea of a cabal or a mafia is a little silly, and in fact there are just writers. Some of them are nice, some of them are neurotic jackasses, and in all cases the influence they can have on one’s career is exponentially smaller than the influence one has on one’s own.
Taunting the tauntable since 1998
John Scalzi, proprietor
Whatever Days
March 2011
Whatarchives
Whatarchives
Select Month
August 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
April 2002
March 2002
The End of All Things: Book and Tour 2015!
The End of All Things is out on August 11 at your favorite local bookstore and online retailer -- and I'm on tour in the US through August and a bit of September. Come see me (click on the city for appearance information)!
Administrivia
The Big Idea
What's the Big Idea? Authors explaining the the big ideas behind their latest works, in their own words.
Authors/Editors/Publicist: for information on how to participate, click
Whatever Just Happened
Random Whatever
-- and you'll be taken to a random Whatever entry in the archive. Which one will you get? Got me!
Scalzi Elsewhere on the Internet
Send to Email Address
Your Email Address
Post was not sent - check your email addresses!
Email check failed, please try again
Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.Get Free Tips to Kick Ass in Business and Life
Over the weekend, I ran into a friend at a coffee shop. She’s 5 months pregnant, growing her business and planning a jumbo event here in NYC.
She wanted an update from me, and I shared that I just came out of one of the most intense creative times I’ve ever had.
A time when my mind kicked up thoughts like, “Are you freakin’ serious?!?! How did you ever think you could possibly accomplish all this — this fast?!”
Maybe you can relate. You see, I knew exactly what needed to get done. The end-game was crystal clear. My deadlines were non-negotiable.
But here’s the kicker.
The outside world didn’t know my schedule. And just because I was in a demanding creative time — that didn’t stop the rest of the world from making requests of my time and sending in new opportunities.
And that, my friend, is the reason most of us .
Because no matter how well we plan, we can’t seem to stay on top of what we want to get done and the seemingly endless demands that show up from the outside world.
But, you know what? There’s a simple fix. And, it works like a champ.
Note: simple, doesn’t mean easy. Just means you don’t need a PhD to understand it
It’s one of the key strategies that helped me stay focused (and sane) during that crazy intense time. And honestly, I use it on a daily basis.
If you’re anything like most people I know, you’ve got some compelling dreams to bring to life. Things to create. Ideas to contribute. Lives to change.
If you ever struggle with finding time to make it all happen, today’s MarieTV is for you.
Today’s Tweetable:
This topic is one that’s dear to my heart. Here’s another recent episode you may enjoy too – .
You were born to create and contribute. Don’t let the demands of the world drown out the work your soul came here to do.
Now, I’d love to hear from you. What methods do you use to separate the I’s from the U’s?
How do you ensure that your real priorities get done first?
Share your story in the comments below. Remember that tens of thousands of incredible souls come here each week for insight and inspiration. Your story may be exactly what someone else needs to hear to have a breakthough.
Important: please share your thoughts and ideas directly in the comments. Links to other posts, videos, etc. may be deleted as they can come across as spammy.
Thank you for sharing your genius and helping make this one of the best places in the digital Universe,
Diggin' this content? Sign up for updates&It's FREE!
Leave a Comment
Random Quote
I don&t make a move without Marie. She&s my Crazy Sexy Consigliere. - Kris Carr
She&s smart, insightful, and serves from the heart.
Marie Forleo is one to watch. - Tim Ferriss
Marie&s unique flavor of entrepreneurial style fits perfectly with Virgin Unite and we can&t wait to see what she has up her sleeve next. - Richard Branson
Marie Forleo is an authentic leader for the next generation. Her confidence, enthusiasm and spirit bleed through every blog, lecture and music video. - Gabrielle Bernstein
Marie’s Most Loved
Most Popular
Find more posts in our
Join 250,000 others upping their business game every week.
You also might enjoy

我要回帖

更多关于 great help 的文章

随机推荐