版本:通用
类型:模拟/摸底/预测
下载扣点:2点
上传时间:
已有5062人下载该资源
2014届安徽高考英语二轮考前三个月冲刺:专题12
专题12 代词
1.The traffic on the main streets has a longer green signal
than________on the small ones.(2013·四川,2)
A.one B.this
解析 2.At our factory there are a few machines similar to________described in this magazine.(2013·天津,12)
解析 考查代词。句意为:在我们工厂有一些机器与这本杂志上描述的相似。those指代前面提到的复数名词machines。
3.________ can be good at something for 40 years if he doesn’t love it.(2013·江西,23)
A.Anybody
B.Everybody
D.Somebody
解析 本题考查代词词义辨析。anybody任何人;everybody每个人;nobody没有人;somebody某人。
4.Larry asks Bill and Peter to go on a picnic with him,but________of them wants to,because they have work to do.(2012·新课标全国,31)
C.neither
解析 but是转折连词,but前面的分句意为“Larry请Bill和Peter和他去野餐”,是请两个人且两个分句是转折关系,所以应该选C项,neither两者都不。any和none表示三者或三者以上的范围;either两者中的任意一个。
5.When you are done with the book,just give it to Lucy or Helen or ________.(2012·山东,21)
A.whoever
B.wherever
C.whatever
D.however
解析 句意为:当你读完这本书,就把它交给露西或海伦,或任何你想交给的人。由题干中的关键信息“give it to Lucy or Helen”可知空格处应选与Lucy or Helen平行的成分,故只能选表示人的whoever,意为“无论谁,……的任何人”,构成give sth.to sb.结构。whatever虽然可作代词,但表示的是事物,意为“无论什么”;wherever“无论哪里”与however“无论如何”均为副词,从题意与结构上都不符合。
6.Sophia waited for a reply,but________came.(2012·江苏,23)
B.another
C.neither
解析 句意为:Sophia等候答复,但没有任何答复。根据转折连词but可知,此处应用表示否定意义的代词,所以排除A、B两项。neither意为“两者都不”;none意为“三者或三者以上都不”。根据前半句中的“a reply”提示可知,选D项。
7.If you’re buying today’s paper from the stand,could you get ________for me?(2012·辽宁,28)
解析 paper作“报纸”讲时是可数名词。结合情景,说话人要对方给自己捎一份报纸,也就是a paper,而与此相对应的就是one。句意为:如果你要从书报摊买今天的报纸,你能给我买一份吗?除了A项外的其他三个选项都可以用作代词,代替名词,但是用法不一样。such意为“这类的(上文提到的人或物)”,且在句中作定语或主语;this指将要提到的内容;that指刚提到过的内容。
8.Sarah made________to the airport just in time to catch her plane this morning.
(2012·大纲全国Ⅱ,9)
A.herself
解析 句意为:今天早上,萨拉及时抵达机场并赶上了飞机。make it是固定短语,意为“成功;达到预定目标”。解答本题的关键是句中的副词just,表示刚好赶上了飞机,说明萨拉“成功地达到了目的”。
9.Studying Wendy’s menu,I found that many of the items are similar to________of McDonald’s.(2012·浙江,5)
解析 those=that ones,代指前面的many of the items,表示复数、特指,被of McDonald’s修饰,符合语境。ones表示复数、泛指;any任何一个;all全部,均不符合语境。
10.I got this bicycle for ________:My friend gave it to me when she bought a new one.(2011·大纲全国Ⅱ,11)
A.everything
B.something
C.anything
D.nothing
解析 句意为:我这辆自行车一分钱也没花:我的朋友买了一辆新的,就把她这辆给了我。for nothing不花钱,免费。
11.—Silly me!I forget what my luggage looks like.
—What do you think of ________ over there?(2011·重庆,27)
A.the one B.this
解析 句意为:——我真傻!我忘了我的行李什么样了。——你觉得那边的那个是你的吗?根据句中的over there可知此处指远处,故用that;the one特指“同类中的一个”,用于指代可数名词,而luggage不可数;this常指近处;it指代“同一物”,均不符合题意。
12.There is ________ in his words.We should have a try.(2011·四川,3)
A.something
B.anything
C.nothing
D.everything
解析 句意为:他话里有话。我们应该试试。something某物,某事,符合句意。anything任何(事物);nothing没有任何(事物);everything一切(事物),三者均不符合句意。
13.The two girls are so alike that strangers find ________ difficult to tell one from the other.(2011·山东,24)
A.it B.them
解析 句意为:这两个女孩长得如此相像,以致于陌生人觉得很难把她们区分开。本句中it用在find后作形式宾语,真正的宾语是后面的动词不定式短语to tell one from the other。them,her,that等词均不能作形式宾语或形式主语。
14.Since people are fond of humor,it is as welcome in conversation as ________ else.(2011·浙江,7)
A.anything
B.something
C.anywhere
D.somewhere
解析 anything无论什么东西,随便什么东西;something某物,某个东西;anywhere在任何地方,随便哪个地方;somewhere在某处,在某地。句意为:因为人们喜欢幽默,在谈话或其他________幽默都受欢迎。else表示“其他的,另外的”,anywhere else表示“其他的任何地方”,表达肯定意义,所以选择C项。
15.—Would you like tea or coffee?
—________,thank you.I’ve just had some water.
(2011·辽宁,27)
D.Neither
解析 句意为:——你是想喝茶还是咖啡?——________,谢谢你。我刚刚喝了一些水。根据句意,此处应该是拒绝请求,什么也不喝,因为是两者全部否定,所以选neither。either两者之间任何一个;both两者都;any任何一个,均与题意不符。
16.We have various summer camps for your holidays.You can choose________based on your own interests.(2011·福建,21)
解析 句意为:我们有各种各样的暑期夏令营,你可以根据自己的兴趣选择一个。either两者中任何一个;each每一个;one一个,为泛指,泛指同类事物或人中的某一个;it为特指,特指上文提到的某人或者某事物。根据语境可知,此处应是表示泛指的某一个,在此泛指上句提到的various summer camps中的某一个。故选C项。
17.Surprisingly,Susan’s beautiful hair reached below her knees and made________almost an overcoat for her.
(2011·安徽,22)
D.herself
解析 句意为:令人惊讶的是,苏珊美丽的长发一直垂到她的膝盖之下,使它看起来像是她的一件大衣。them他/她/它们;her她;itself它自己;herself她自己。因为主语是Susan’s beautiful hair,所以made后的反身代词是指“头发本身”,故选itself。
18.The employment rate has continued to rise in big cities thanks to the efforts of the local governments to increase________.
(2011·北京,34)
解析 句意为:由于当地政府(为增加就业率)所做的努力,大城市的就业率持续攀高。根据句意可知,本题中的代词应该指代上文提到过的名词the employment rate,根据代词的用法可知选项C正确。A项指代复数名词;B项指代可数名词复数;D项指代上文意思。
19.I knew that________would ever discourage him;he would never give up wanting to be a director.(2011·湖南,24)
A.something
B.anything
C.everything
D.nothing
解析 句意为:我知道没有什么会使他灰心,他永远也不会放弃想成为一名导演的愿望。由句意可知此处表示否定意义,故选D。
20.Neither side is prepared to talk to________unless we can smooth things over between
them.(2010·大纲全国Ⅱ,12)
B.the other
C.another
D.one other
解析 句意为:除非我们能够清除他们之间的障碍,否则双方没有一方愿意同另一方谈话。由neither(两者之中没有一个)可知是“两者”,故选the other,表示两者中的另外一个。others泛指其他人;another另一,又一;one other无此搭配。

1.—Have you finished your report?
—No,I’ll finish it in ________ ten minutes.
A.another
B.otherC.more
解析 此处another表示“又……,再……”。根据语境可知,报告没有完成,再有10分钟才能完成,故答案为A项。
2.—Which tie would you prefer,the black tie or the red one,Madam?
—I’ll take ________ to have a change sometimes.
A.neither
解析 根据对话中的“the black tie or the red one”和“have a change”可判断出“两者都要”,故答案为D项。
3.What?________ to go there with ________?No!
C.Me;him
D.Me;himself
解析 句意为:什么?让我和他一起去那儿?不行!在表示惊奇、反诘、否定、轻蔑、不满和厌烦等感情色彩中,常用宾格人称代词,故第一空用me;第二空前有介词with,所以用宾格作它的宾语。
4.The factory produced many famous cars,none of ________ shipped to foreign countries.
C.it D.what
解析 句意为:这家工厂生产了很多名车,但没有一辆被运到国外去。them指代前面的cars,此题容易误认为是一个非限制性定语从句。但此处shipped是一个过去分词,逗号后面的部分是一个独立主格结构。如果在shipped前面加was,则应该选B项,构成非限制性定语从句。
5.I spent the whole day repairing the motorbike.The work was ________ simple.
A.nothing but
B.anything but
C.something of
D.all except
解析 句意为:我花了一整天修理摩托车,这可不是件简单的活。anything but一点也不,符合题意。nothing but相当于only,意为“正是,只是”;something of有几分,在某种程度上;all except除了……所有的都。
6.I just choose a simpler lifestyle,________ where I can ride my bike all over and do not have to make a great living to survive.
D.another
解析 考查代词。句意为:我只是选择了一种更简单的生活方式,一种可以骑自行车,不必为生活奔忙的生活方式。one是a simpler lifestyle的同位语。
7.I don’t think ________ possible to master a foreign language without much memory work.
解析 此处it用作形式宾语,真正的宾语是后面的动词不定式“to master a foreign language without much memory work”。
8.I just pretended nobody was at home,so I didn’t ask who ________ was.
解析 句意为:刚才我假装没人在家,所以我没有问他是谁。it指代身份不明确的人,符合题意。
9.My grandma still treats me like a child.She can’t imagine ________ grown up.
C.myself D.me
解析 动词imagine后缺少宾语,故答案为D项。
10.To save class time,our teacher has ________ students do half of the exercise in class and complete the other half for our homework.
解析 动词have后缺少宾语故答案为A项,后面的students作us的同位语。
11.—Do you often talk with your friends on the telephone or mobile phone?
—________.I like using QQ.
D.Neither
解析 此处表示“我既不用电话也不用手机和朋友交谈,而是用QQ”。neither表示“两者都不”,符合语意。
12.I did not accept any of the many offerings,because I found ________ satisfactory.
A.neither of them
B.none of them
C.either of them
D.all of them not
解析 句意为:这么多的提议我一个也没接受,因为我发现提议中没有一个令人满意。根据题干中的any可判断,提议是三个或三个以上的,故排除A、C两项,因为这两项表示“两者都不/两者中的任何一个”;not any表示全部否定,故判断设空处也为全部否定,故排除D项;只有B项表示“三者或三者以上”的全部否定。
13.—Which one can I take?
—You can take ________ of them;I’ll keep none.
解析 句意为:——我能拿哪一个?——你可以全拿走,我一个也不留。根据“I’ll keep none.”可知,有三个或三个以上的东西,而且可以全部拿走,所以选D项。
14.—There is still a copy of the book in the library.Will you go and borrow ________?
—No,I’d rather buy ________ in the bookstore.
A.it;one
B.one;one
C.one;it
解析 结合语境可知,图书馆里只剩下一本,(要借的话)只能借这仅剩的一本,即指的是上文提到的那个事物,所以第一空特指上文出现的事物,故用it;第二空表示同类中的一个,是泛指,故用one。
15.The manager decided to give the job to ________ who he believed had a strong sense of duty.
解析 句意为:经理决定把这个工作给任何他认为有责任心的人。anyone任何人,符合题意,anyone who相当于whoever。 each每个人; no one没有人;none没有一个。
16.—Can you see anything without glasses?
—________.
C.Nothing
解析 根据问句中anything可以判断此处指的是“物”,且不涉及数量,故选C项。
17.—I’d like some more cheese.
—Sorry,there’s________left.
解析 句意为:——我想再要一些奶酪。——很抱歉,已经没有了。none可指代不可数名词意为“没有”,符合题意。some一些;no one没有人,只能指人不能指物;few指代可数名词。
18.Look at the price of the book!It is practically the same as________of a good dictionary.
解析 that代指前文的名词the price;it只能用来指代上面提到的事物本身;one相当于“a+名词”。
19.On my desk is a photo that my father took of________when I was a baby.
解析 考查代词。take a photo of sb.意为“给某人照相”,此处应用人称代词的宾格。
20.—Which of the story books do you like best?
—________.They both are expensive and of little interest.
B.Nothing
C.Neither
解析 考查不定代词的辨析。由后面的both可知是两本书,两者的否定用neither。
21.Do you think ________ possible to work out a correct figure of the income that the Olympic Games will bring to Rio de Janeiro?
解析 句意为:你认为可能准确计算出奥运会将给里约热内卢带来多少收益吗?it用作形式宾语,后面的动词不定式短语是真正的宾语。
22.—It’s said that he is a wise leader.
—Oh,no,he is________but a wise leader.
A.anything
C.anybody
D.anywhere
解析 anything but是习语,意为“根本不是”或“一点也不”,不仅可用于事物,也可用于人。
23.I felt so bad all day yesterday that I decided this morning I couldn’t face ________ day like that.
B.another
C.the other
解析 句意为:我昨天一整天感到很糟糕,以致于我今天早晨决定我不会再面对那样的一天。此处是指在未来的日子中的另一天,故用another。
24.Will you see to ________ that my birds are well looked after while I am away?
B.yourself
解析 所填词构成固定句型see to it that...,意思是“确保,务必”,故选C项。
25.They all wanted to stop working because they were too tired,but ________ of them would say so.
D.neither
解析 句意为:他们都想停止工作,因为他们太累了,但是又没有人愿意说出来。根据all可知此处指三者或三者以上的人,表示全部否定应该用none。

Ⅰ.完形填空
There was once a man who met with a shipwreck(船只失事) and landed on a deserted island.Every day he prayed,__1__ someone could pass and rescue him,but to his __2__,no one ever came.
Months went by and this man learned to __3__ food and firewood from the island and stored them in a hut(棚屋)
that he constructed,which helped him __4__ on the deserted island.One day when he __5__ his hut after hunting for food,__6__,he saw his hut was on fire,along with everything else he had!
All of his __7__ were going up in smoke!The only thing __8__ was the clothes on his back.At first he was __9__,frozen there and then he was filled with __10__!He threw a fist into the air and began yelling, “How unfair!How could this __11__ to me?I’ve been praying every day for months but now everything that I have is on fire!”
Later the man grew so __12__ that he fell on his hands and knees weeping heavily when he happened to look up and __13__ a ship coming in his direction.The man was __14__.As they were heading back to civilization,the man asked the captain, “How were you able to __15__ me?” The captain __16__,“We were voyaging across the ocean when a cloud of __17__ going up caught our attention.We __18__ to go check it out and that’s when we found you!”
In life we will always be __19__ with challenges,problems,and disasters.Always keep in mind that a disaster can sometimes be good __20__ in disguise(掩盖).
1.A.realizing
B.imagining
D.doubting
解析 根据空格后面“...someone could pass and rescue him...”可知这是他的希望。
2.A.excitement
B.disappointment
C.amazement
D.embarrassment
解析 根据“...no one ever came.”可知一直没人来,与他的希望相对的是这让他感到失望。disappointment(失望)符合语境。
3.A.collect
B.receive
解析 根据下文after hunting for food可知他在岛上四处搜集食物和木柴。
4.A.survive
C.adapt D.develop
解析 由上文提到的food and firewood和a hut,可知食物和木柴,还有小屋让他在这个空无一人的岛上活了下来。
5.A.visited
C.returned to
解析 根据下文after hunting for food,可知他是寻找食物后返回到棚屋。
6.A.naturally
B.unexpectedly
C.instead
解析 从下文他的反应可以知道,他没料到房子起火。unexpectedly(意外地)符合语境。
7.A.preparations
B.preferences
C.feelings
D.possessions
解析 由上文提到的along with everything else he had可知房子里所有的东西都被烧光了。
解析 由the clothes on his back可知衣服是穿在他身上的,没有被烧掉,那是他剩下的唯一的东西。
9.A.touched
B.shocked
D.confused
解析 根据frozen there可知shocked(震惊)符合他当时的心情。
10.A.anger B.pain
解析 根据下文他挥拳、大喊大叫可知他当时很愤怒。
11.A.open B.object
解析 根据“How unfair!”和“I’ve been praying every day...”的对比可推知他抱怨这样的事情为什么会发生在他身上。
12.A.unreasonable
D.desperate
解析 根据下文遇难者伤心地哭泣可知他当时极度绝望。
13.A.spotted
D.searched
解析 根据上文he happened to look up以及下文他被救的信息可知当时他看见一艘船过来。spot有“认出,瞥见”之意。
14.A.rescued
B.protected
C.rewarded
D.welcomed
解析 由下文他与船长的对话可知,他被救了。
15.A.trust
解析 由下文船长说的话可知,他问船长是怎么发现他的。
16.A.declared
B.explained
C.analysed
解析 他提问题,船长解释原因。explain(解释)符合语境。
17.A.light
解析 根据上文提到的房子着火可知,船上的人是看见房子着火冒的烟才前去查看情况。smoke符合语境。
18.A.forgot
B.continued
C.pretended
D.decided
解析 看见岛上有烟冒出,船员们决定过去看看是什么情况。decide符合语境。
19.A.supplied
B.satisfied
D.equipped
解析 作者根据所发生的故事告诉我们生活中总会面临很多挑战、问题和灾难。
20.A.experience
C.information
D.progress
解析 根据全文可知,房子着火反而引来救援。换个角度看,灾难有时候是一种福气。luck与disaster相对,符合语境。
Ⅱ.阅读理解
Rocky Lyons was five years old when his mother,Kelly,was driving along the country road with him.He was asleep on the front seat of their truck,with his feet resting on her lap.As his mom drove carefully down the winding country road,she turned onto a narrow bridge.The truck hit a rock and slid off the road.She attempted to bring it back up onto the road by pressing hard on the gas pedal(踏板) and turning the steering wheel(方向盘) to the left.But Rocky’s foot got caught between her leg and the steering wheel and she lost control of the truck.
The truck fell into a 20-foot ravine(峡谷).When it hit bottom,Rocky woke up.“What happened,Mama?” he asked.“Our wheels are pointing toward the sky.”
Kelly was seriously wounded and blinded by blood.“I’ll get you out,Mama,”announced Rocky,who had surprisingly escaped injury.He climbed out from under Kelly,slid through the open window and tried to yank his mother out.But she didn’t move.
“Just let me sleep,” begged Kelly,who was out of consciousness.Rocky insisted,“Mom,you can’t go to sleep.”
Rocky managed to push Kelly out of the truck and told her he’d climb up to the road and stop a car to get help.Fearing that no one would be able to see her little boy in the dark,Kelly refused to let him go alone.Instead they slowly moved up to the road.The pain was so great that Kelly wanted to give up,but Rocky wouldn’t let her.
Rocky kept repeating the inspirational phrase,“I know you can,I know you can.”When they finally reached the road,Rocky broke into tears seeing his mother’s torn face clearly for the first time.Waving his arms and shouting, “Please stop!” the boy stopped a truck.His mother was sent to hospital.
It took 8 hours to rebuild Kelly’s face.She looks quite different today—“I used to have a straight long nose,thin lips and high cheekbones;now I’ve got a flat cheeks and much bigger lips”—but she has few scars and has recovered from her injuries.
Rocky’s heroics were big news.Everyone was surprised at this little boy’s power.“It’s not like I wanted it to happen,” the boy explained.“I just did what anyone would have done.” “If it weren’t for Rocky,I’d have died,” said his mother.
1.According to the text,Rocky and Kelly ________.
A.were lost on a country road
B.were involved in a truck accident
C.had limited time to find their way
D.knew little of what happened to them
解析 细节理解题。根据第二段第一句“The truck fell into a 20-foot ravine(峡谷).”可知,Rocky和他的妈妈出车祸了。
2.When he woke up,Rocky ________.
A.found the truck was turned over
B.found his mother had fallen asleep
C.was stuck against the door of the truck
D.was frightened by his mother’s blood
解析 细节理解题。根据第二段最后一句“‘Our wheels are pointing toward the sky.’”可知,当Rocky醒来时,卡车已经翻倒了。
3.The underlined word “yank” in Paragraph 3 most probably means “________”.
解析 词义猜测题。根据划线词所在句“He climbed out from under Kelly,slid through the open window...”以及第三段最后一句“But she didn’t move.”可知,他想把妈妈拉出来,但拉不动。
4.What is the best title for the text?
A.A Boy and His Mother
B.How to Behave Well?
C.Nothing Is Lost
D.I Think You Can
解析 标题归纳题。文章主要讲述了一个五岁的小男孩在车祸中勇敢挽救母亲生命的故事。在车祸发生后,小男孩一直在鼓励母亲,并告诉她“你一定能行”,这点明了文章的主旨。
Businesses are witnessing a difficult time,which has in turn produced influence on consumers’ desire to go green.However,shoppers are still laying stress on environmental concerns.
Two thirds of customers say that environmental considerations inform their purchases to the same degree as they did a year ago,while more than a quarter say that they are now even better aware of the environmental effect on what they buy.
This may help to influence how shops store goods on their shelves.And the companies should still make efforts to become more environmentally friendly.Two out of three people think it is important to buy from environmentally responsible companies,with about one in seven saying that they had even decided to take their custom elsewhere if they felt a company’s environmental reputation was not good enough.
Harry Morrison,chief executive(主管)of the Carbon Trust,sympathizes:“I understand this situation where survival is very important now.But from environmental considerations,the clock is ticking—we don’t have much time.In addition,cutting carbon has an immediate effect as costs drop and a medium-term benefit for the brand.”
Larger companies have an extra motivation to look at reducing their carbon footprint,as new rules next year will require businesses to buy carbon allowances to make up for their emissions(排放).Those that have taken early action will have a head start.More than two thirds of consumers are not clear about which companies are environmentally responsible.This suggests that firms that are able to relay clearly their message to the public will be in a pole position to attract shoppers.
The Carbon Trust believes that it can help by informing customers about the good work companies are doing.“When companies are granted(授予) the standard,they can use a logo(标识) in all their marketing which makes it clear that they are working towards cutting emissions,” Mr.Morrison said.
(2010·福建,C)
5.What’s the main idea of the passage?
A.Businesses are finding ways to send their message to the shoppers.
B.Companies will soon get information about cutting carbon emissions.
C.Firms are making efforts to encourage customers to keep goods at home.
D.Firms are urged to cut carbon emissions by shoppers’ environmental awareness.
解析 主旨大意题。环保意识的进一步提高促使公司去减排。
6.The underlined word “inform” in Paragraph 2 probably means “________”.
C.disturb
解析 词义猜测题。由第二段“Two thirds of customers say that environmental consideration inform their purchases to the same degree as they did a year ago...三分之二的顾客说环境方面的考虑影响着他们的购买力,和一年前达到相同的程度……”可以推出,inform意为“影响”。change“改变”;disturb“打扰,妨碍”;reject“拒绝”,约不符合句意。
7.According to Harry Morrison,businesses ________.
A.will benefit from cutting carbon emissions
B.should buy carbon allowances for shoppers
C.are required to make up for their carbon emissions
D.have encouraged shoppers to take their custom elsewhere
解析 细节理解题。由第四段最后一句“In addition,cutting carbon has an immediate effect...”可知,Harry Morrison认为企业会从减排中获益,故A项正确。
8.We can learn from the passage that businesses will________.
A.have a strong desire to reduce costs
B.use the same logo in their marketing
C.gain advantages by taking early action
D.attract more shoppers by storing goods
解析 细节理解题。从第五段第二句“Those that have taken early action will have a head start.”可知,C项正确。
Ⅰ.阅读理解
Mom was right!If you say thank you,for even the smallest gift or slightest show of kindness,you’ll feel happy.
Gratitude(感谢),says Robert A.Emmons,a professor of psychology at the University of California,is an important element of happiness.In his recent book,Thanks!,Emmons uses the first major study on gratitude to prove mom’s point.In acknowledging and developing this much-ignored expression of thankfulness,he explains how people have benefited—even improved their health.
As one of the leading scholars of the positive psychology movement,he admits gratitude may be difficult to express.He advises you to begin by admitting that life is good and full of events and elements that make daily existence a wonder.Second,recognize that the source of life’s goodness is more than just you.That source may be your mom,a friend,partner,child,colleague at work or play,or any combination of these.
Gratitude is always other-directed,notes Emmons.You can be pleased or angry with yourself and feel guilty about doing something wrong,but you can never be grateful to or for yourself.
Expressing gratitude shouldn’t be a reaction;it should be a state of mind.To feel grateful when life is a breeze and you have more than you need is easy.To feel grateful in time of crisis—anger,hatred and bitterness—is easier.Also,too many people are aware of life’s blessings only after these are lost.The voices expressing gratitude from his studies of individuals are many.
It’s crisis and chaos—danger,disease,disability and death—that bring many individuals to realize just how dependent they are on others.Yet it’s the way each of us begins life and ends it.It’s too bad that so many people waste those decades in between labouring under the illusion(幻觉) they are self-sufficient,says Emmons.
To enable and embrace gratitude,Emmons encourages the readers of Thanks! to keep a gratitude diary.He even provides easy-to-follow directions on how to practise and develop gratitude.
I’m not a reader or advocate of self-help books,but I am thankful for the reference I found in a newspaper article to the research Emmons was conducting on gratitude involving organ donors and recipients(接受者).The chance discovery led me to this book.
Mom implied that kindness seems to find its way back to the giver because life really is all about giving,receiving and repaying.So I’ll pay attention to her professional advice and say:Thank you,professor Emmons.
1.What is the text mainly discussed?
A.There are many ways of being thankful.
B.Gratitude is important to happiness.
C.Mom is great for her being thankful.
D.Being thankful will keep you fit.
解析 主旨大意题。第一段作者提出妈妈的观点“If you say thank you,...you’ll feel happy.”接着就介绍Emmons教授的一本关于感恩的书中的观点,其实也就是为了证明妈妈的观点是对的,即:学会感恩,你就会感到幸福。
2.The author mentions Robert A.Emmons’book Thanks! in order to prove that ________.
A.Professor Emmons supports mom’s study on psychology
B.mom is as great a psychologist as Professor Emmons
C.Professor Emmons is a famous psychologist
D.mom is right about her viewpoint on gratitude
解析 推理判断题。根据第二段中的“In his recent book,Thanks!,Emmons uses the first major study on gratitude to prove mom’s point.”可知,作者提到Emmons教授的书是为了证明妈妈的观点是对的,故选D项。
3.It will be easier for you to feel grateful when ______.
A.you live a comfortable life
B.you receive gifts on your birthday
C.you get help during your hard times
D.you are congratulated on your success
解析 细节理解题。根据第五段第三句“To feel grateful in time of crisis—anger,hatred and bitterness—is easier.”可知选C项。
4.What is the opinion of Professor Emmons?
A.It is enough to thank others orally.
B.Whether you are thankful is always up to you.
C.Remember to be thankful anytime and anywhere.
D.It is easier to be thankful for yourself than for others.
解析 推理判断题。根据第四段“Gratitude is always other-directed,...but you can never be grateful to or for yourself.”及第五段中的“Expressing gratitude shouldn’t be a reaction;it should be a state of mind.”可排除A、B、D三项。综合全文,可知Emmons教授的观点应是:随时随地都要感恩。
China is a land of bicycles.At least it was back in 1992 when I traveled the country.Back then everyone seemed to be riding a bicycle.Millions of them,all black.Cars were rare.Yet since my arrival in Beijing last year,I’ve found the opposite is true.There are millions of cars.However,people still use their bicycles to get around.For many,it’s the easiest and cheapest way to travel today.Bicycles also come in different colors—silver,green,red,blue,yellow whatever you want.
It’s fun watching people biking.They rush quickly through crossroads,move skillfully through traffic,and ride even on sidewalks(人行道).Bicycles allow people the freedom to move about that cars just can’t provide.
Eager to be part of this aspect of Chinese culture,I decided to buy a bicycle.Great
weather accompanied my great buy.I immediately jumped up on my bicycle seat and started home.
first ride home was orderly(守秩序的).To be safe,I stayed with a“pack”of bikers while cars on the streets came running swiftly out of nowhere at times.I didn’t want to get hit.So I took the ride carefully.
Crossing the streets was the biggest problem.It was a lot like crossing a major highway back in the United States.The streets here were wide,so crossing took time,skill and a little bit of luck.
I finally made it home.The feeling on the bicycle was amazing.The air hitting my face and going through my hair was wonderful.I was sitting on top of the world as I passed by places and people.Biking made me feel alive.
(2013·辽宁,A)
5.According to the author,why are bicycles still popular in China today?
A.Because they are traditional and safe.
B.Because they are convenient and inexpensive.
C.Because they are colorful and available.
D.Because
they are fast and environment friendly.
解析 6.The author decided to
buy a bicycle because he intended________.
A.to ride it for fun
B.to use it for transport
C.to experience local culture
D.to improve his riding skills
解析 细节理解题。根据第三段第一句“Eager to be part of this aspect of Chinese culture...”可知选C。
7.How did the author feel about his street crossing?
A.It was boring. B.It was difficult.
C.It was lively.
D.It was wonderful.
解析 8.Which of the following best describes the author’s biking experience?
A.The author enjoyed showing off his biking skills.
B.The author was annoyed by the air while riding.
C.The author was praised by the other bikers.D.The author took great pleasure in biking.
解析 Ⅱ.任务型读写
Successful people in international business understand the cultures of other countries and learn to change their practices in different cultures.They understand the importance of avoiding business decisions based on misconceptions—mistaken ideas.
One cause of misconception is ethnocentrism(民族优越感),the belief that one’s own culture’s way of doing things is better than the way of other cultures.It’s ethnocentrism that leads to failure in international business.To avoid ethnocentrism,it is necessary to study the different elements(组成部分) of culture:language,values and attitudes,and customs and manners.
●Language
A knowledge of the local language can help international business people in four ways.First,people can communicate directly.Second,people are usually more open in their communication with someone who speaks their language.Third,an understanding of the language allows people to infer meanings that are not said directly.Finally,knowing the language helps people to understand the culture better.
●Values and attitudes
Values are people’s basic beliefs about the difference between right and wrong,good and bad.An attitude is a way of thinking or acting.Values and attitudes influence international business.For example,many people in the United States believe that chocolate from Switzerland is better than chocolate from other countries,and they buy a lot of it.
●Customs and manners
Customs are common social practices.Manners are ways of acting that the society believes are polite.For example,in the United States,it is the custom to have salad before the main course at dinner,not after.It’s not acceptable to talk with food in mouth at table.Failure to understand the customs and manners of other countries will bring difficulty selling their products.Orange juice as a breakfast drink of an American company in France doesn’t sell well because the French don’t usually drink juice with breakfast.
Ⅲ.书面表达
俗话说,金钱不是万能的,但没有金钱又是万万不能的。请以“My View on Money”为题写一篇词数为120词左右的文章。
内容要包含以下要点:
1.表明你对这一问题的看法和认识;
2.说明你的理由。
My View on Money
In modern society it seems impossible to live without money.For instance,a country needs money to develop its economy and to improve people’s living standards.For a person suffering from poverty or a serious disease,
he has to go hungry or wait to die if he has no money.Money is even regarded as a symbol of wealth and status.
Perhaps sometimes money is very important.With lots of money we can live comfortably.But I don’t think it is all-powerful.There are still things like friendship and love more valuable than money.There are also certain things that money cannot buy,such as health,youth and happiness.Money is only a medium of exchange,a symbol of our work or achievement.Therefore,we should earn money by honest and legal means.Only when money is obtained by hard and honest work can it make us really happy.
Ⅰ.完形填空
One day,while I was walking to work,I decided to bring some flowers that I had picked from my garden that morning.On the way,I __1__ a stranger and presented the bunch to him with a smile card.__2__ by the sense of joy I felt from giving flowers to another person,and may be __3__ his day,I wanted to do it again.
When I got to my office,I had the __4__ of anonymously(匿名) leaving flowers around the workplace.The impersonal(无人情味的) __5__ of the building where I work makes me __6__.It just feels a little boring sometimes,__7__ it’s a nice building with great light.I __8__ lots of people might feel the same way,so why not put a little __9__ there,and throw in an inspirational quote while I’m at it?__10__,who doesn’t like flowers?
So,for the past month,I’ve been __11__ flowers in a little cup on the sink in the bathroom.Each week,I __12__ the flowers and the quote.It always feels __13__ for me to read quotes like Henry David Thoreau’s “If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams,he will meet with a __14__ unexpected in common hours.” and Gandhi’s “The fragrance(香味) always __15__ on the hand that gives the rose.” If anything,I figured,it at least makes me __16__ each time I visit the bathroom.
Then today,when I walked in,I noticed __17__ flowers in the cup,and a quote that someone else had written!It __18__,“Be the change you wish to see in the world.”—Gandhi.
This little act __19__ me that,at the end of the day,we’re all just people with hearts __20__ the various roles and different hats we may wear in the workplace.
I did a little dance and I am smiling wide for the rest of the day!
1.A.picked out
B.came across
C.called up
D.pointed at
解析 根据语境可知作者在路上遇到一名陌生人就把一束花送给他。come across遇到,符合语境。pick out挑选;call up打电话;point at指着。
2.A.Struck
B.Informed
C.Surprised
D.Honoured
解析 根据“...I wanted to do it again.”可知,那种送人鲜花带来的快乐让作者深受触动。strike触动,符合语境。
3.A.calming
B.determining
C.reflecting
D.brightening
解析 当把一束花送给陌生人的时候,他的那一天可能因此而变得快乐。brighten使……生辉,符合语境。
4.A.belief
解析 根据“...leaving flowers around the workplace.”可知,当到达办公室的时候,作者想到了一个主意。idea主意,想法,符合语境。
5.A.design
B.atmosphere
C.decoration
D.regulation
解析 根据语境可知,大楼里没有人情味的是氛围。atmosphere氛围,气氛,符合语境。
6.A.uncomfortable
B.impolite
C.impatient
D.unconscious
解析 根据“The impersonal(无人情味的)...”可知,在冷冰冰的环境里工作当然会让人感到不舒服。uncomfortable不舒服的,符合语境。
C.because
解析 “...it’s a nice building with great light.”和“It just feels a little boring sometimes...”是让步关系,故答案应为though。
8.A.concluded
B.considered
C.doubted
D.expected
解析 根据上下文可知,作者认为其他人也有她这种感觉。consider认为,考虑,符合语境。
9.A.mystery
B.adventure
D.courage
解析 上文提到给办公场所摆放鲜花,可知是为工作环境增加一点美丽。
10.A.More or less
B.After all
C.At most
D.In no case
解析 句意为:毕竟,谁不喜欢花呢?after all毕竟,符合语境。more or less或多或少;at most至多;in no case决不。
11.A.growing
B.watering
C.putting
D.arranging
解析 由上文提到的在工作场所放置鲜花,可知在随后的一个月里,作者总是把花放在洗手间水池旁的一个杯子里。
12.A.count
解析 下文提到了不止一个格言,说明作者每周都更换鲜花和格言。
13.A.refreshing
B.interesting
C.satisfying
D.puzzling
解析 后面提到的格言都是令人振奋的。refreshing令人振奋的,符合语境。
14.A.prize
C.success
D.miracle
解析 根据“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams...”可知,人只要向着自己的梦想努力,就会在平时获得意想不到的成功。
15.A.holds B.attaches
C.remains
D.focuses
解析 予人玫瑰,手留余香。remain留下,符合语境。hold容纳;attach附着;focus集中。
16.A.strong
C.excited D.shocked
解析 根据“It always feels ____ for me to read quotes...”以及上文的叙述鲜花能给人带来愉悦感,可知作者每次使用洗手间时,心情都是愉快的。
17.A.good
D.special
解析 根据上文以及“...a quote that someone else had written!”可知,作者注意到了新花,因为其他人更换了留言和鲜花。
18.A.printed
C.replied
解析 根据空格后面引号里的内容,可知是上面写有某种字样,用say或read。
19.A.introduces
C.suggests
D.reminds
解析 根据下文的叙述可知人们其实都是有心人,说明是这件事情提醒了作者。
20.A.regardless of
B.in terms of
C.in addition to D.instead of
解析 根据前面提到的人们都是有心人可知,不管人们做什么工作,担任什么职务(只要用心给予,人与人之间就会充满温情)。regardless of不管,符合语境。in terms of就……来说;in addition to除了;instead of代替。
Ⅱ.阅读理解
Pessimistic,anxious and depressed people may have a higher risk of dementia (痴呆),US researchers reported on Thursday.
A study of a group of 3,500 people showed that those who scored high for pessimism on a standardized personality test had a 30 percent increased risk of developing dementia 30 to 40 years later.
Those scoring very high on both anxiety and pessimism scales had a 40 percent higher risk,the study showed.
“There appears to be a dose-response pattern.That is,the higher the scores,the higher the risk of dementia,”Dr Yonas Geda,a neuropsychiatrist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester,Minnesota who led the study,said in a statement.
Geda and his colleagues looked at the medical records of 3,500 men and women who lived near the clinic between 1962 and 1965.
They all took the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory,a standard personality and life experience test,Geda’s team told a meeting of the American Academy of Neurology in Miami.
In 2004,the team interviewed the participants or family members.
Those who scored higher for anxiety and pessimism on the test were more likely,as a group,to have developed dementia by 2004,including Alzheimer’s disease and vascular (血管的) dementia.
This did not mean a person who is pessimistic could assume he or she has a higher risk of developing dementia.
“One has to be cautious in interpreting a study like this,”Geda said.
“One cannot make a leap from group level data to the individual.Certainly the last thing you want to do is to say,‘Well,I am a pessimist;thus,I am doomed to develop dementia 20 or 30 years later,’because this may end up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy (预言).”
And there is NOT any specific way to prevent dementia,although many studies have shown that a healthy diet,exercise,keeping active in other ways,doing puzzles and other activities lower the risk.
1.What is the passage mainly about?
A.It is impossible for people to avoid dementia.
B.People who always have negative feelings may have a higher risk of getting dementia.
C.If we have a healthy diet,we would have no chance of getting dementia.
D.A person who is pessimistic has a higher risk of developing dementia.
解析 主旨大意题。文章第一段就点明了主题,整篇文章都围绕悲观、压抑等情绪更容易使人患痴呆症这一论断展开。
2.According to the passage,which of the following is TRUE?
A.There are many ways to prevent dementia effectively.
B.A person who is pessimistic is sure to get dementia.
C.Those who lead a happy life will not get dementia when they are old.
D.Those who scored high for pessimism might have a higher risk of dementia.
解析 细节理解题。由最后一段可知A项错误;悲观者患痴呆症的可能性会更大而不是一定会患痴呆症,所以B项错误,D项正确;生活幸福的人也不一定就一定不会患痴呆症。
3.Which of the following does NOT help reduce the risk of getting dementia according to the passage?
A.A healthy diet.
B.Proper exercises.
C.Doing puzzles.
D.Getting up early.
解析 细节理解题。最后一段提到健康饮食、常运动、猜字谜等有助于预防痴呆,而文中并没有涉及到有关“早起床”的信息。
4.Which of the following words is not close to the meaning of the word “pessimistic”?
A.Cheerless.
B.Optimistic.
C.Unhappy.
解析 词义猜测题。由文章知,pessimistic与anxious和depressed意义接近,而A、C、D三项与这两个词的意思也接近,只有optimistic意为“乐观的”,与pessimistic意义相反。
The Firegathering
18-20 May
The Firegathering festival returns to an unidentified place somewhere in the Sussex countryside this May.The ticket price is a very agreeable £40,an amount that the organisers promise covers only the costs of staging the event.As well as the night-club singers and dancers and circus performers,you can expect live performances from local stars.If this looks like it might be right for you,you’d be well advised to book your ticket soon;the event has sold out every year since its beginning four years ago.
Sheep Music
20-22 July
Sheep Music started life as a garden party and has developed into a full-scale(全面的) community event.Even though the advertising has always been limited to word of mouth,the huge number of people in 2005 left organizers worried that the large crowds could ruin the festival’s family feel.Luckily July sees the return of this brilliant party.The climax(高潮) comes in the shape of Saturday night’s full-scale parade(游行) and fancy dress ball that you just would not expect to happen in the other sleepy Welsh borders.
The Big Chill
3-5 August
Ten years on and The Big Chill could very well be close to becoming a big pop festival like Glastonbury.That said,the many thousands in attendance are still able to relax in the beautiful Eastnor deer park and listen to plenty of music that would otherwise pass them by.Families have always been given a warm welcome and it’s fair to say that The Big Chill is probably the most child-friendly of all the medium-sized festivals.If you’ve never been,you should certainly go.
Summer Sundae
10-12 August
Although only a year old this summer,Summer Sundae has quickly inspired the imaginations of Leicesteks music lovers.Last year’s event was a success,noted by more than a few mentions at the UK Festival Awards.It is set in the impressive grounds of De Montfort Hall.Although the performers are still to be confirmed,the cabins are sure to be there.These small buildings are made from wood and carpets,storage space,and can fit a family for the night.
5.What can we learn about The Firegathering?
A.The festival will take place in a park.
B.No profits will be made from the festival.
C.The audience will be bigger than expected.
D.A lot of national stars will perform at the festival.
解析 推理判断题。根据第一则广告中的“The ticket price is a very agreeable £40,an amount that the organisers promise covers only the costs of staging the event.”可知门票收入只能支付会演的成本。由此推断,它并不以盈利为目的。
6.How did Sheep Music advertise itself?
A.By holding a parade.
B.By advertising orally.
C.By giving performances.
D.By holding a family party.
解析 细节理解题。根据第二则广告中的“Even though the advertising has always been limited to word of mouth...”可知Sheep Music是通过口头宣传的。
7.Which festival will provide accommodation for the audience?
A.The Firegathering.
B.Sheep Music.
C.The Big Chill.
D.Summer Sundae.
解析 推理判断题。细读最后一则广告的最后一句:这些小建筑物是木制的,铺着地毯,有储藏间,适合一家人过夜。由此推断,Summer Sundae提供住宿。
8.What is the similarity of these festivals?
A.All of them entertain attendants with music.
B.All of them have a long history.
C.All of them need advance booking.
D.All of them can be compared with Glastonbury.
解析 细节理解题。根据四则广告中分别出现的singers and dancers,fancy dress ball,plenty of music和music lovers可知,这些节日都和音乐有关。

Ⅰ.阅读理解
The library is one of the most popular places at a western university.Students turn to it for research,conversations about class,and many other services.
Compared with Chinese libraries,college libraries in the US and UK tend to offer more resources.A postgraduate at Yale University can borrow as many as 225 books at a time.
In addition to borrowing books,there are online and electronic resources.These include a database search of popular and academic material,such as LexisNexis Academic,which offers items from newspapers and magazines.
Although books and articles are the items that students ask for most frequently,some libraries provide audio and video recordings,maps and sheet music(活页乐谱).At some schools,teachers and tutors put electronic copies of their teaching PPTs on the library web to give easier access for students.
Another useful service in western college libraries is the Interlibrary Loan.This allows a student at one school to borrow books from another school.The loan request is made through the student’s college library,which gets the book,gives it to the user,and arranges for its return.
Technology has brought more services to students and has made libraries attractive.Some universities have services for students to send messages through the computer or mobile texts to ask the library staff for information.
Earlier this year,Harvard University introduced a new Scan and Deliver service,allowing students to make requests for parts of books and articles.Requests made through the system are handled by library staff.The student receives an e-mail with an Internet link to the scanned pages.The service is free and all material comes within four days.
It used to be that libraries didn’t allow food or drinks.But that rule is changing and many of them now contain a café so students can spend as much time as they want in the library.
Actually,some US university libraries are now all-night affairs,or have at least one study room open all night.
1.In western college libraries a postgraduate can ________.
A.have a free drink or a meal
B.borrow as many books as they want
C.ask questions and get answers from their tutors
D.access not only books but other study resources
解析 细节理解题。根据第三段第一句“In addition to borrowing books,there are online and electronic resources.”可知答案。
2.LexisNexis Academic is the name of a ________.
B.library
C.database
D.university
解析 细节理解题。根据第三段第二句“These include a database search of popular and academic material,such as LexisNexis Academic,which offers items from newspapers and magazines.”可知,LexisNexis Academic是涵盖了报纸和报刊资源的数据库。
3.Which of the following are mostly needed by students in western libraries?
A.Books and articles.
B.Audio and video recordings.
C.Maps and sheet music.
D.Tutors’ teaching PPTs.
解析 细节理解题。根据第四段首句“Although books and articles are the items that students ask for most frequently...”可知答案为A项。
4.Which of the following statements is TRUE?
A.Chinese library services are better than western ones.
B.Library staff play an important role in college library service.
C.Postgraduates can post their own PPTs on the library website.
D.24-hour services are adopted in all western libraries nowadays.
解析 推理判断题。根据倒数第四段中的“...ask the library staff for information.”和倒数第三段哈佛大学推出的Scan and Deliver服务推断,图书管理员在大学图书馆服务中起着重要作用。
I’m a TV show host.One Sunday,I took my 7-year-old daughter by the sea for lunch.On arriving at the beach,I saw JoJo,a wealthy man in the hotel business.We sat down to chat in an open air cafe while I watched my daughter enjoy herself on the swings in front of us.Our conversation varied,from business to entertainment to the economy.
Suddenly our conversation was interrupted by a stranger,who politely asked permission to speak to me.Often people want to tell me something about my controversial(有争议的) TV show,when I’m out on the streets.
He asked to speak to me privately,so we stood a bit away from my table.He said,“I’m James,35 years old,father of a 7-year-old girl,who’s very sick.She needs treatment abroad.The doctors said that if she was treated in the UK,she would probably survive.But I’m poor,so can you please help me?”
Speechless,I stared in the man’s eyes full of tears and asked how I could help.After we talked for a while,I went to sit back at the table.JoJo asked me,“What’s wrong with you?Your face changed.”I told him.JoJo was sorry for this family and said I had the means through the media to help him.Later we headed off to our destinations.
All weekend I thought about James,his daughter and his family.I even thought about doing a special TV show to raise money for this sick child.
On Monday morning I was at the office after I finished presenting my show,when my secretary said a man needed to speak to me.It was JoJo.He walked into my office.JoJo is so busy with his hotel business that I never imagined he had time to come and see me at the studios.
“Please,call the man with the sick child and tell him that I’ll pay all expenses for his sick daughter’s treatment.” JoJo said,with a cheque in his hand.“I’ve been married for 35 years.I wasn’t lucky enough to have a child.I want to help this child now.”I picked up the phone to call James.
Now James’daughter is well and living a normal life,so James and his wife are the happiest couple on earth.JoJo often visits her.I’m so happy that there are so many good people on this earth.
5.According to the text,the writer ________.
A.often has lunch at the beach with his daughter
B.is often troubled by his audience
C.met JoJo at the beach by accident
D.was hesitant to help James
解析 细节理解题。由第一段的内容可知,作者星期天去海滨是为了和女儿吃午餐,遇到JoJo纯属偶然。
6.James asked to speak privately to the writer rather than JoJo most probably because he ________.
A.did not know that JoJo was wealthy
B.believed that rich persons seldom volunteered to help others
C.thought a TV show host could help him through the media
D.knew that the writer was a warm-hearted TV show host
解析 推理判断题。根据第二段第二句“Often people want to tell me something about my controversial(有争议的) TV show,when I’m out on the streets.”可知,很多人(当然也包括James)知道作者是一位电视节目主持人;再结合第五段第二句“I even thought about doing a special TV show to raise money for this sick child.”可推断,James是希望当主持人的作者通过媒体帮他想办法筹款,以此帮助他,故答案为C项。
7.According to the text,the writer thought that JoJo’s arrival at his office was ________.
A.exciting
C.annoying
D.surprising
解析 推理判断题。根据倒数第三段可知JoJo的酒店生意很忙,因此作者根本没料到JoJo会有时间来他的办公室,因此他为JoJo的到来感到意外,故答案为D项。
8.Why did JoJo make up his mind to help James?
A.To show his warm heart and kindness.
B.To show his sympathy for James’ family.
C.To show his love for a child.
D.To set a good example to other rich people.
解析 推理判断题。根据倒数第二段“‘I’ve been married for 35 years.I wasn’t lucky enough to have a child.I want to help this child now.’”可推断,JoJo是出于对孩子的爱而愿意帮忙的。
Ⅱ.任务型读写
A popular belief is that it is likely that college freshmen gain five,ten,fifteen or more pounds of weight by the end of their first year—college students called it the “Freshman 15”.
One college weight gain study conducted 15 years ago found that a sample of university girls gained weight 36 times faster than girls of the same age who did not attend college.The university girls gained an average of nearly several pounds of weight among their first year.
In a recent college weight gain study,researchers in Iowa tracked a group of freshmen girls,mentioning their weight,body fat and attitudes about gaining weight at the beginning and end of their freshman year.
More than half of the students put on weight,but the weight gain was generally less than five pounds.More than a third of the students actually lost weight.The students who were most worried about the scaring “Freshman 15” were most likely to think they’d put on weight,even if they hadn’t.The researchers say that the “Freshman 15” myth is a potentially dangerous one because students may feel that they cannot avoid the weight gain,turning it into a self-fulfilling prophecy(自我应验的预言).
There are psychological,social and practical reasons why college freshmen are likely to gain weight.
Changing from one environment to another can be difficult.They meet a whole new set of peers after leaving home.And many students tend to turn to food for stress relief.
Food is also used to socialize.Pizza parties and other food-oriented activities are easy ways to develop a sense of community among students.Unfortunately,this type of social eating is usually done in addition to meals,which can add to additional weight rather quickly.
Another important factor is that freshmen usually eat in the cafeteria on campus.Meal plans typically offer unlimited buffet-style food,including desserts.This is a stress test for binge(大吃大喝) eating.
If you do gain weight,don’t be afraid.Take a look at your eating and exercise habits and make necessary adjustments.In a study in which freshmen gained 4 pounds in 12 weeks,the students were only eating an average of 174 extra calories each day.So cutting out one can of soda or a midnight snack every day and being more active will help you get back on track.
It may be attractive to try some easy solution,like skipping meals.But these approaches don’t work to keep weight off in the long run.It’s best to make small adjustments to your diet that you know you can stick with.
Title:Weight Gain in College Freshman Year Passage outline Supporting details
1.Definition of
“Freshman 15” College students are likely to become 2.fatter during their first year in college.
Findings about
“Freshman 15” ●An early study showed that university girls put on weight much 3.faster than those peers who didn’t attend college.
●Researchers in a recent study found that “Freshman 15” may be dangerous because college freshmen believe it cannot be 4.avoided.
5.Reasons for
weight gain ●Many freshmen try to 6.reduce/relieve stress by eating when they are adjusting to the new environment.
●Social eating such as pizza parties can increase weight gain.
●Buffet-style food is 7.offered/served in large quantities in college cafeterias.
Solutions to
weight gain ●8.Examine your diet and exercise habits and make some necessary changes.
●Cut down the intake of calories and be more 9.active.
●Skip meals,but it can only bring 10.short-term benefits.
●Make an adjustment that you can stick with.
Ⅲ.书面表达
假如你是李明,最近,你的朋友张华因考试不利,情绪低落,学习消极应付。请你用英语给他写一封e-mail,指出其消极行为可能带来的不良后果,并结合自身实际,提出应采取的积极态度和应对方法,鼓励他努力学习。
注意:1.词数120左右;
2.开头和结尾已给出,但不计入总词数。
Dear Zhang Hua,
I’m sorry to hear that_________________________________________________________
I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t do well in your last exam.You are not the only one who seems to try his best but end up with a failure in exams.Quite a number of students feel the same way as you and they tend to lose their confidence and don’t want to study hard any longer.I’m sure you know that it’s unwise to do so because you might be left far behind.
I was once in the same situation as yours.Failure is the mother of success.In face of failure,what we need to do is to calm down and reflect our learning methods and make some possible changes or to ask the teachers for advice.Anyway,Rome is not built in a day.Only by sticking to studying persistently can we make progress step by step till success.I truly hope I can be of some help to you.
版权所有:中华资源库

我要回帖

更多关于 我和他谈笑风生 的文章

随机推荐