我想发明特殊的手套,英语英文小短文带翻译,带翻译

四大发明咋翻译?四六级考试中国风神翻译
12月14日全国大学英语四六级开考。这是四六级改革后的首次考试,采取&多题多卷&模式,即在同一考场内采用内容不同的试题组成多套试卷。
这次考试原来的&完形填空&被取消,而&汉译英&从单句翻译改为段落翻译。新六级的翻译占到15%的分数,要在30分钟内将一篇中文短文翻译为英语。这次的六级翻译内容有中国园林、丝绸之路、中秋节等,涉及传统历史文化。
新题型翻译成为考试重点,让不少考生们都不知所措。不少考生反映今年的&中国风& 翻译题比较难,考生们也给出了很多神翻译:四大发明成了&star farming&,&指南针&变成&GPS&....... 来看看网友们的吐槽:
指南针不会,我写GPS;我把火药直接译成TNT
山水画、文人墨客、四大发明怎么翻译啊?只能来年再战了&&
&中秋节&不会写,我写了那么多年农历的英文,当年还被老师罚抄500次都竟然忘了!忘了!忘了!
完形填空回来吧,折磨也没关系,至少蒙对一两个。
下面是这次的CET考试中出现的神翻译:
1. 四大发明:&starfarming&、&F4&
正确翻译:The Four Great Inventions of Ancient China
2. 指南针:&GPS&
正确翻译:compass
3. 火药:&TNT&或&firemedicine&
正确翻译:gunpowder
4. 丝绸之路:&SiChouRoad&
正确翻译:Silk Road
5. 中秋节:&Fullmoonfestival&
正确翻译:the Mid-Autumn Festival
6. 皇室成员:&thestarsofVIP&
正确翻译:Members of Royal Family
7. 月饼:&pizzayue&
正确翻译:mooncake
8. 拜月:&byemoon&
正确翻译:worship the moon
9. 造纸术:&eatPapers&
正确翻译:papermaking
小伙伴们看到如此有才的翻译是不是也被逗乐了呢?但笑过之后还是要记住正确的翻译哈!
查看四六级翻译答案及解析:
12月14日全国大学英语四六级开考,翻译成为考试重点,让不少考生们都不知所措。今年不少考生反映今年的“中国风”翻译题比较难,考生们也给出了很多神翻译:四大发明成了“star farming”,“指南针”变成“GPS
http://i1./topic/cet8436.jpg
更多英语演讲稿文章推荐
&1360学币\n
&1020学币\n
&1520学币\n
&699学币\n
&825学币\n
&858学币\n
&1100学币\n
&1881学币\n
CopyRight & 沪江网 2015&英语四级短文翻译综合_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
评价文档:
1页1下载券10页1下载券7页免费21页免费2页1下载券8页1下载券2页1下载券56页免费5页2下载券7页免费
喜欢此文档的还喜欢21页免费13页1下载券7页免费6页免费15页免费
英语四级短文翻译综合|概​括​了​很​多​中​国​习​俗​。​预​测​四​级​考​试​短​文​翻​译​。
把文档贴到Blog、BBS或个人站等:
普通尺寸(450*500pix)
较大尺寸(630*500pix)
你可能喜欢找一篇初一水平的英语短文(有翻译和生词整理)在线等_百度知道
找一篇初一水平的英语短文(有翻译和生词整理)在线等
最好是哲理性和寓言,能讲3分钟,一定有翻译,也不要太简单。满意得追加。生词在10个以内,单独整理出来,并有音标
短文越多越好,3个以上。不要复制别人的答案
提问者采纳
In china, people believe that, at the beginning, the tiger and the cat were friends, and the cat was much smarter than the tiger .The cat learned the physical skills quickly, and the tiger was always behind. Gradually, the tiger had to learn from the cat, and the cat was patient to teach the tiger. Day after day, month after month, finally, the tiger could also run, jump, roll, grasp, tear, and strike as well as the cat. 在中国,人们相信在很久以前猫和老虎是好朋友,而且猫比老虎聪明的多。猫学习动作技巧很快,老虎却总是落后。渐渐的,老虎不得不向猫学习了,猫也很有耐心的教老虎。日复一日,月复一月,老虎终于也可以像猫一样,跑,跳,打滚,扑抓,撕咬,击打。One summer afternoon, the cat was taking a nap as the tiger sitting nearby. Looking at the cat, the tiger suddenly thought, why should he keep befriending with such a small animal since he had already learnt all the skills from the cat? The evil tiger decided to kill the sleeping cat as a before dinner snack. The tiger stood up and approached the cat viciously. Just as this moment, the cat woke up. Opening up her eyes, the smart cat immediately realized what the tiger was trying to do and swiftly jumped onto a nearby tall tree and climbed to the top branch. 一个夏天的下午,猫在打盹,老虎在边上坐着。老虎看着猫,忽然想到,既然自己已经学会了猫的所有本领,为什么还要和这么小的动物一直做朋友呢?邪恶的老虎决定杀死熟睡中的猫,当作晚餐前的点心。老虎站起来,邪恶的一步步靠近猫。就在这时,猫醒来了。聪明的她睁开眼睛立刻意识到老虎要干什么,于是立刻灵活的跳到了附近的大树上,爬到树顶。The tiger thought he had already learned every skill from the cat .But he never knew that the cat had hidden the tree climbing from him. 老虎以为他已经学到了猫的所有本领,但他不知道猫还藏了一手爬树的本事。“I kept the last technique of the tree climbing from you just because I suspected you might be can ungrateful friend.” The cat loudly told the tiger who watched under the tree helplessly.“我没有让你学这最后一个爬树的技巧,因为我怀疑你可能会是个不知感恩的朋友。”猫高声告诉树下无奈的老虎。
提问者评价
谢谢。虽然没完全达到我的要求,但这个故事很不错。
其他类似问题
英语短文的相关知识
其他2条回答
百灵鸟和它的孩子们 The lark and its young ones A child went up to a mother lark and said,'Good lark ,do you have children ?' 'Yes,child,I do,' said the mother lark,'and they are very pretty ones.'then she pointed to the little birds and said,'This is Fair Wing,that is Tiny Bill,and the third is Bright Eyes.' 'At home, we are three,'said the child ,'my two sisters and I.My mother says that we are pretty children,and she loves us.' To this the three little lark answered,'Oh,yes,our mother loves us ,too.' 'Good mother lark ,'said the child,'will you let Tiny Bill go home with me and play?' Before the mother lark could answer,Bright Eyes said ,'Yes,if you will send your little sister to play with us in our nest.' &Oh,she will be so sorry to leave home,'said the child.'She could not come away from our mother.' 'Tony Bill will be so sorry ti leava our nest,'answered Bright Eyes,'and he will not qo away from our mother.' Then the child ran away to her mother ,saying,'Ah,every one loves home!' The Thirsty Pigeon口渴的鸽子 A PIGEON, oppressed by excessive thirst, saw a goblet of water painted on a signboard. Not supposing it to be only a picture, she flew towards it with a loud whir and unwittingly dashed against the signboard, jarring herself terribly. Having broken her wings by the blow, she fell to the ground, and was caught by one of the bystanders. Zeal should not outrun discretion. 有只鸽子口渴得很难受,看见画板上画着一个水瓶,以为是真的。他立刻呼呼地猛飞过 去,不料一头碰撞在画板上,折断了翅膀,摔在地上,被人轻易地捉住了。 这是说,有些人想急于得到所需的东西,一时冲动,草率从事,就会身遭不幸。 The Raven and the Swan乌鸦和天鹅 A RAVEN saw a Swan and desired to secure for himself the same beautiful plumage. Supposing that the Swan's splendid white color arose from his washing in the water in which he swam, the Raven left the altars in the neighborhood where he picked up his living, and took up residence in the lakes and pools. But cleansing his feathers as often as he would, he could not change their color, while through want of food he perished. Change of habit cannot alter Nature. 乌鸦非常羡慕天鹅洁白的羽毛。他猜想天鹅一定是经常洗澡,羽毛才变得如此洁白无 瑕。于是,他毅然离开了他赖以生存的祭坛,来到江湖边。他天天洗刷自己的羽毛,不但一 点都没洗白,反而因缺少食物饥饿而死。 这故事是说,人的本性不会随着生活方式的改变而改变。 The Goat and the Goatherd 山羊与牧羊人 A GOATHERD had sought to bring back a stray goat to his flock. He whistled and soun the straggler paid no attention to the summons. At last the Goatherd threw a stone, and breaking its horn, begged the Goat not to tell his master. The Goat replied, &Why, you silly fellow, the horn will speak though I be silent.& Do not attempt to hide things which cannot be hid. 很多山羊被牧羊人赶到羊圈里。有一只山羊不知在吃什么好东西,单独落在后面。牧羊 人拿起一块石头扔了过去,正巧打断了山羊的一只角。牧羊人吓得请求山羊不要告诉主人, 山羊说:“即使我不说,又怎能隐瞒下去呢?我的角已断了,这是十分明显的事实。” 这故事说明,明显的罪状是无法隐瞒的。 The Miser守财奴 A MISER sold all that he had and bought a lump of gold, which he buried in a hole in the ground by the side of an old wall and went to look at daily. One of his workmen observed his frequent visits to the spot and decided to watch his movements. He soon discovered the secret of the hidden treasure, and digging down, came to the lump of gold, and stole it. The Miser, on his next visit, found the hole empty and began to tear his hair and to make loud lamentations. A neighbor, seeing him overcome with grief and learning the cause, said, &P but go and take a stone, and place it in the hole, and fancy that the gold is still lying there. It will do you qu for when the gold was there, you had it not, as you did not make the slightest use of it.& 有个守财奴变卖了他所有的家产,换回了金块,并秘密地埋在一个地方。他每天走去看 看他的宝藏。有个在附近放羊的牧人留心观察,知道了真情,趁他走后,挖出金块拿走了。 守财奴再来时,发现洞中的金块没有了,便捶胸痛哭。有个人见他如此悲痛,问明原因后, 说道:“喂,朋友,别再难过了,那块金子虽是你买来的,但并不是你真正拥有的。去拿一 块石头来,代替金块放在洞里,只要你心里想着那是块金子,你就会很高兴。这样与你拥有 真正的金块效果没什么不同。依我之见,你拥有那金块时,也从没用过。” 这故事说明,一切财物如不使用等于没有。 The Wolf and the Lamb 狼与小羊 WOLF, meeting with a Lamb astray from the fold, resolved not to lay violent hands on him, but to find some plea to justify to the Lamb the Wolf's right to eat him. He thus addressed him:&Sirrah, last year you grossly insulted me.& &Indeed,& bleated the Lamb in a mournful tone of voice, &I was not then born.& Then said the Wolf , &You feed in my pasture.& &No, good sir,& replied the Lamb, &I have not yet tasted grass.& Again said the Wolf, &You drink of my well.& &No,& exclaimed the Lamb, &I never yet drank water, for as yet my mother's milk is both food and drink to me.& Upon which the Wolf seized him and ate him up, saying, &Well! I won't remain supperless, even though you refute every one of my imputations.& The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny. 一只小羊在河边喝水,狼见到后,便想找一个名正言顺的借口吃掉他。于是他跑到上游,恶狠狠地说小羊把河水搅浑浊了,使他喝不到清水。小羊回答说,他仅仅站在河边喝水,并且又在下游,根本不可能把上游的水搅浑。狼见此计不成,又说道:“我父亲去年被你骂过。”小羊说,那时他还没有出生。狼对他说:“不管你怎样辩解,反正我不会放过 你。” 这说明,对恶人做任何正当的辩解也是无效的。 The Bat and the Weasels蝙蝠与黄鼠狼 A BAT who fell upon the ground and was caught by a Weasel pleaded to be spared his life. The Weasel refused, saying that he was by nature the enemy of all birds. The Bat assured him that he was not a bird, but a mouse, and thus was set free. Shortly afterwards the Bat again fell to the ground and was caught by another Weasel, whom he likewise entreated not to eat him. The Weasel said that he had a special hostility to mice. The Bat assured him that he was not a mouse, but a bat, and thus a second time escaped. It is wise to turn circumstances to good account. 蝙蝠掉落在地上,被黄鼠狼叼去,他请求饶命。黄鼠狼说绝不会放过他,自己生来痛恨鸟类。蝙蝠说他是老鼠,不是鸟,便被放了。后来蝙蝠又掉落了下来,被另一只黄鼠狼叼住,他再三请求不要吃他。这只黄鼠狼说他恨一切鼠类。蝙蝠改口说自己是鸟类,并非老 鼠,又被放了。这样,蝙蝠两次改变了自己的名字,终于死里逃生。 这故事说明,我们遇事要随机应变方能避免危险。 The Ass and the Grasshopper 驴子与蚱蜢 AN ASS having heard some Grasshoppers chirping,
and, desiring to possess the same charms of melody, demanded what sort of food they lived on to give them such beautiful voices. They replied, &The dew.& The Ass resolved that he would live only upon dew, and in a short time died of hunger. 驴子听见蚱蜢唱歌,被美妙动听的歌声所打动,自己也想能发出同样悦耳动听的声音,便 羡慕地问他们吃些什么,才能发出如此美妙的声音来。蚱蜢答道:“吃露水。”驴子便也只吃露水,没多久就饿死了。 这个故事告诉人们不要企望非份之物。 The Lion and the Mouse 狮子与报恩的老鼠 A LION was awakened from sleep by a Mouse running over his face. Rising up angrily, he caught him and was about to kill him, when the Mouse piteously entreated, saying: &If you would only spare my life, I would be sure to repay your kindness.& The Lion laughed and let him go. It happened shortly after this that the Lion was caught by some hunters, who bound him by strong ropes to the ground. The Mouse, recognizing his roar, came and gnawed the rope with his teeth and set him free, exclaiming: &You ridiculed the idea of my ever being able to help you, expecting to receive from me any rep now you know that it is possible for even a Mouse to con benefits on a Lion.& 狮子睡着了,有只老鼠跳到了他身上。狮子猛然站起来,把他抓住,准备吃掉。老鼠请求饶命,并说如果保住性命,必将报恩,狮子轻蔑地笑了笑,便把他放走了。不久,狮子真的被老鼠救了性命。原来狮子被一个猎人抓获,并用绳索把他捆在一棵树上。老鼠听到了他 的哀嚎,走过去咬断绳索,放走了狮子,并说: “你当时嘲笑我,不相信能得到我的报答, 现在可清楚了,老鼠也能报恩。” 这故事说明,时运交替变更,强者也会有需要弱者的时候。引自
Today was Sunday.
It was a boring day. It was hot. I was not a work. I watched TV all morning. The shows were boring. Then I called my friend, Nancy. She wasn’t at home. I didn’t know where she was. At twelve I was hungry. There was not any food in the fridge. I was lazy. I was tired. Then I ate lunch outside. At one o’clock. I was in bed. In the afternoon I was at the movies. The film was boring. I'm glad tomorrow is Monday. I can go to school and see my friends. 今天是星期天,这是令人厌烦的一天。今天天气很热,我呆在家里,不用去上学。 我看了一上午的电视。电视节目和无聊。于是我给好朋友南西打电话,可她不在家。我不知道她去哪里了。 十二点我饿了,可是冰箱里什么食物都没有。我很懒惰,也很劳累,于是我出去吃了午饭。一点我上床睡觉。下午我去了电影院。电影很无聊。很高兴明天就是星期一了,我有可以返回学校见到我的好朋友了。 What is happiness? Different people have different ideas. S they think they are happy. Other people have many friends, so they feel happy. Still others are happy because their lives are meaningful. Happiness attracts(吸引) everyone. For children, 什么是幸福,不同的人有不同的观点,一些人因为有钱,觉得幸福,另外一些人因为有很多朋友,所以觉得很幸福,而还有其他人因为他们活的有意义,幸福吸引了每一个人,对于小孩来讲happiness often suggests eating something good or playing with toys. For a stamp collector, stamps bring more delight than meals. And for a scientist, a discovery or an invention rather than anything else gives him greatest satisfaction.幸福就是吃喜欢的东西和玩玩具,对于邮票爱好者来讲,邮票带来的幸福远远大于肉,而对于科学家来讲,一个重大发现或者发明将会比任何东西都要让人满足
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁优美英语短文背诵80篇+中文翻译03-第5页
上亿文档资料,等你来发现
优美英语短文背诵80篇+中文翻译03-5
此外,美国谈判者经常坚持实现短期目标,而外国的谈;&27ScientificTheories;Inscience,atheoryisareas;Ausefultheory,inaddition;Scienceinvolvesimaginati;Inaway,anyhypothesisisal;scientistplansexperiment;科学理论;
此外,美国谈判者经常坚持实现短期目标,而外国的谈判者会珍视建立谈判者之间的联系并愿意为长期利益投 入时间。 为了巩固这种联系,他们会选择非直接的交流而不计较投入用于了解对方的时间。 明显地,价值观的不同和理解上的差异影响了谈判的结果和谈判者的成功与否。美国人要 在国际商务谈判中扮演更为有效的角色,他们就必须投入更多的努力提高跨文化的理解力。&27 Scientific TheoriesIn science, a theory is a reasonable explanation of observed events that are related. A theory often involves an imaginary model that helps scientists picture the way an observed event could be produced. A good example of this is found in the kinetic molecular theory, in which gases are pictured as being made up of many small particles that are in constant motion.A useful theory, in addition to explaining past observations, helps to predict events that have not as yet been observed. After a theory has been publicized, scientists design experiments to test
the theory. If observations confirm the scientists' predictions,
the theory is
supported. If observations do not confirm the predictions, the scientists must search further. There may be a fault in the experiment, or the theory may have to be revised or rejected.Science involves imagination and
creative thinking
as well as collecting
information and performing experiments.
Facts by themselves are not science. As the mathematician Jules Henri Poincare said,&Science is built with facts just as a house is built with bricks, but a collection of facts
called science any more than a pile
a house.& Most scientists start an investigation by finding out what other scientists have learned about a particular problem. After known facts have been gathered, the scientist comes to the part of the investigation that requires considerable imagination. Possible solutions to the problem are formulated. These possible solutions are called hypotheses.In a way, any hypothesis is a leap into the unknown. It extends the scientist's thinking beyond the known facts. Thescientist plans experiments, performs calculations, and makes observations to test hypotheses. Without hypothesis, further investigation lacks purpose and direction. When hypotheses are confirmed, they are incorporated into theories.科学理论 在科学中,理论是对所观察到的相关事件的合理解释。 理论通常包含一个虚构的模型,这个模型帮助科学家构想所观察到的事件是如何发生的。
分子运动理论便是我们能找到的 一个很好的例子。 在这个理论中,气体被描绘成由许多不断运动的小颗粒组成。 一个有用 的理论,除了能够解释过去的观测,还有助于预测那些未被观测到的事件。
一个理论公开 后,科学家们设计实验来检验这个理论。 如果观察证实了科学家的预言,这个理论则得到 了验证。 如果观察不能证实科学家的预言,科学家就必须进一步的研究。或许是实验存在 错误,或许是这个理论必须被修改或抛弃。
科学家除了收集信息和操作实验外还需要想象 能力和创/造性思维。
事实本身并不是科学。 正如数学家乔斯?亨利?波恩克尔所说:&科 学建立在事实之上,就像房子用砖砌成一样。
但事实的收集不能被称作科学,就像一堆砖 不能被叫作房子一样。&多数科学家通过找出别的科学家在一个特定问题上的所知来开始研 究。在收集了已知事实之后,科学家开始了研究中需要相当想像力的部分。
他们尔后拟订对这个问题的可行的解决方法。这些可行的解决方式被称为假设。
在某种意义上,任何假设都是向未知的跳跃。它使科学家的思维超越已知事实。科学家计划实验、计算、观测以检 验假定。若没有假设,进一步的研究便缺乏目的和方向。当假设被证实了,就成为理论的 一部分。&28
Public EducationOne of the
most important social developments that helped to
make possible a shift
in thinking about the role of public education was the effect of the baby boom of the 1950's and 1960's on the schools. In the 1920's, but especially in the Depression conditions of the 1930's, the United States experienced a declining birth rate -- every thousand women aged fifteen to forty-four gave birth to about 118 live children in
in 1936, and 80 in 1940. With the growing prosperity brought on by the Second World War and the economic boom that followed
it young people married《写作160篇》全面涵盖当年可考话题,经典话题精心选材,and established
households earlier and began
to raise larger families than had their
predecessors during
the Depression. Birth rates rose
to 102 per thousand in
in 1950, and 118 in 1955. Although economics was probably the most important determinant,
is not the only explanation for the baby boom. The increased value placed on the idea of the family also helps to explain this rise in birth rates. The baby boomers began streaming into the first grade by the mid 1940's and became a flood by 1950. The public school system suddenly found itself overtaxed. While the number of
schoolchildren rose because of wartime and postwar conditions, these same conditions made the schools even less prepared to cope with the flood. The wartime economy meant that few new schools were built between 1940 and
1945. Moreover, during the war and in
boom times that followed, large numbers of teachers left their profession for better-paying jobs elsewhere in the economy.Therefore in the 1950's and 1960's, the baby boom hit an antiquated and inadequate school system. Consequently, the &custodial rhetoric&of the 1930's and early 1940's no longer made sense that is, keeping youths aged sixteen and older out of the labor market by keeping them in school could no
high priority for
institution unable
to find space and staff
to teach younger children aged five to sixteen. With the baby boom, the focus of educators and of laymen interested
inevitably turned toward
the lower grades and back to
basic academic skills and discipline. The system no longer had much interest in offering nontraditional, new, and extra
services to older youths.公共教育的角色变化 一项重要的、有可能促使人们对公共教育的角色的看法发生转变的社会发展是本世纪五六十年代的生育高峰对学校的影响。
在 20 年代,尤其是在 30 年代后的大萧条中,美国经 历了一次出生率的下降--1920 年每千名年龄在 15 岁至 45 岁的妇女生下大约 118 个存活婴儿,1930 年 89.2 个,1936 年 75.8 个,1940 年 80 个。
随着二战带来的持续繁荣以及随之而来 的经济增长,年轻人比大萧条中的同龄人更早地结婚成家,而且比前辈养育更大的家庭。1946 年出生率上升到 102%,1950 年达 106%,1955 年达 118%。
对于生育高峰,经济有可能是最重要的决定因素,但它并不是唯一的解释。
不断受到重视的家庭观念也有助于解释 出生率的上升。 到 40 年代中期为止,这些生育高峰出生的孩子们开始源源不断地进入小学 一年级。
到了 1950 年,就形成了一股洪流。
公共教育系统突然感到不堪重负了。由于战 时和战后的状况,使得学龄儿童人数增加,这些状况使得学校面对这股洪流更加措手不及。 战时经济意味着在 1940 年到 1950 年间几乎没有建立新学校。
而且,在战时和随后的经济 增长时期,大量的教师离开岗位去别处从事报酬更为优厚的工作。
因此,在五六十年代, 生育高峰冲击着陈旧而不完备的学校体系。
这样一来,30 年代以及 40 年代早期,&监护理 论&就不再有意义了。
也就是说,通过使 16 岁以上的年轻人留在学校不进入劳动力市场的 做法再也不是教育机构的优先考虑了。
因为教育机构不再能找到场地和教师来教育那些更 小的 5-16
岁的孩子。
随着生育高峰,教育者和圈外人士对教育的兴趣和焦点,不可避免地 转向了更低的年级和基础的学术技能和学科上。这个系统不再有浓厚的兴趣给较年长的年 轻人提供非传统的新式的和额外的服务。&29 TelecommutingTelecommuting -- substituting
computer for the trip to the job -- has been
hailed as a solution to all kinds of problems related to office work.For workers it promises freedom from the office, less time wasted in traffic, and help with child-care conflicts. For
management, telecommuting helps keep high
performers on board, minimizes tardiness and absenteeism by eliminating
commutes, allows periods of solitude for high-concentration tasks, and provides scheduling flexibility.In some areas, such as Southern California and Seattle, Washington, local governments are encouraging companies to start telecommuting programs in order to reduce rush-hour congestion and improve air quality.But these
benefits do not come easily. Making a
telecommuting
program work requires careful planning
and an understanding
of the differences
between telecommuting realities and popular images.Many
telecommuter.
computer programmer from《写作160篇》全面涵盖当年可考话题,经典话题精心选材,New
York City moves to the tranquil Adirondack Mountains and stays in contact with
her office
via computer. A manager comes in to his
office three days a week
and works at home the other two. An accountant stays home to car she hooks up her telephone modem connections and does office work between calls to the doctor.These
reflection
Telecommuting workers soon learn that it is almost impossible to concentrate on work and care for a young child at the same time. Before a certain age, young children cannot recognize, much less respect, the necessary
boundaries between
work and family.Additional child support is necessary if the parent is to get any work done.Management too must separate the myth from the reality. Although the media has paid a great deal
telecommuting
employee's
situation,
the availability of technology that precipitates a telecommuting arrangement.That
is partly why, despite the widespread press coverage, the
number of companies with work-at-home programs or policy guidelines remains small.电子交通电子交通--用电脑取代上班的往返--作为对各种各样的办公室工作问题的解决办法已受 到了欢迎。对工作者来说,它承诺不受办公室的约束,更少的时间浪费在交通上和有助于 解决照看小孩的矛盾。
对管理者来说,电子交通有助于挽留高效率的工作者,通过省去办 公室与家之间的来回往返,大大减少工作拖拉和旷工,给予管理者独处的时间来完成需要高度集中精神的任务,为管理者提供灵活的时间安排。
在一些地区,如南加利福尼亚和西雅 图、华盛顿,地方政府鼓励公司开始电子交通计划以减少交通高峰时的塞车和提高空气质量。 但这些益处也来之不易。 要使电子交通成功需要仔细的计划并且理解电子交通的现实状况 和流行的想象之间的区别。 许多工作者被电子交通的美好幻想所迷惑。 一位电脑程序设计 员从纽约市搬到了宁静的阿第伦达克山,用电脑保持与她办公室之间的联系。
一位经理一
周三天到办公室,其他两天在家工作;一位会计师在家照顾她生病的孩子,接通电话调制解 调器的接头,在同医生通话之余完成办公室工作。这些是很有震撼力的情景,但也是对现 实有限的反映。 电子交通者很快发现在同一时间专注工作和照看小孩几乎是不可能的。 在 某个年龄之前,小孩子不可能意识到,更不可能尊重工作与家庭之间的界限。
如果家长要 完成工作,就必须另外照看小孩。 管理阶层必须把现实同神话分开。 虽然传媒对电子交通 投入了极大的关注,但在很大程度上,是员工的实际情况而不是技术的可能性促成电子交通 的安排。这就是为什么尽管有广泛的报导,具有在家工作项目或行动纲领的公司数目依然 很少的部分原因。&30 The Origin of RefrigeratorsBy the mid-nineteenth century, the term&icebox&had entered the American language, but ice was still only beginning to affect the diet of ordinary citizens in the United States. The ice trade grew with the growth of cities. Ice was used
in hotels, taverns,
and hospitals, and
by some forward-looking
War(), as ice was used to refrigerate freight cars, it also came into household use. Even before 1880, half the ice sold in New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore, and one-third of that sold in Boston and Chicago, went to families for their own use. This had become possible because a new household convenience,
the icebox,
a precursor of
the modern refrigerator, had
been invented.Making an efficient icebox was not as easy as we might now suppose. In the early nineteenth century, the knowledge of the physics of heat, which was essential to a science of refrigeration, was rudimentary. The commonsense notion that the best icebox was one that prevented the ice from melting was of course mistaken, for it was the melting of the ice that performed the cooling. Nevertheless, early efforts to economize ice included wrapping the ice in blankets, which kept the ice from doing its job. Not until near the end of the nineteenth century did inventors achieve the delicate balance of《写作160篇》全面涵盖当年可考话题,经典话题精心选材,insulation and circulation needed for an efficient icebox.But as early as 1803, an ingenious Maryland farmer, Thomas Moore, had been on the right track. He owned a farm about twenty miles outside the city of Washington, for which the village of Georgetown was the market center. When he used an icebox of his own design to transport his butter to market, he found that customers would pass up the rapidly melting stuff in the tubs of his competitors to pay a premium price for his butter, still fresh and hard in neat, one-pound bricks. One advantage of his icebox, more explained, was that farmers would no longer have to travel to market at night in order to
keep their produce cool.冰箱的由来直到 19 世纪中期,&冰箱&这个名词才进入了美国语言,但冰仅仅只是开始影响美国普 通市民的饮食。冰的买卖随着城市的发展而发展。冰被用在旅馆、酒馆、医院以及被一些 有眼光的城市商人用于肉、鱼和黄油的保鲜。
内战()之后,冰被用于冷藏货车, 同时也进入了民用。
甚至在 1880 年前,半数在纽约、费城和巴尔的摩销售的冰,三分之一
在波士顿和芝加哥销售的冰进入家庭使用,因为一种新的家庭设备,冰箱,即现代冰箱的前 身,被发明了。
制造一台有效率的冰箱不像我们想象的那么简单。 19
世纪早期,关于对 冷藏科学至关重要的热物理知识是很浅陋的。
认为最好的冰箱应该防止冰的融化这样一个 普遍的观点显然是错误的,因为正是冰的融化起了制冷作用。
早期为节省冰的努力,包括 用毯子把冰包起来,使得冰不能发挥它的作用。 直到近 19 世纪末,发明家们才成功地找到 有效率的冰箱所需要的精确的隔热和循环的精确平衡。 但早在 1803 年,一位有发明天才的 马里兰农场主,托马斯?莫尔,找到了正确方法。
他拥有一个农场,离华盛顿约 20 英里, 那里的乔治镇村庄是集市中心。当他用自己设计的冰箱运送黄油去市场时,他发现顾客们 会走过装在竞争者桶里那些迅速融化的黄油而给他比市价更高的价格买他仍然新鲜坚硬,整 齐地切成一磅一块的黄油。
莫尔说他的冰箱的一个好处是使得农民们不必在夜里上路去市 场以保持他们产品的低温。&31 British ColumbiaBritish
Columbia is the third
largest Canadian province,
population. It is nearly 1.5
times as large as Texas, and
extends 800 miles (1,280km) north
from the United States border. It includes Canada's entire west coast and the islands just off the coast.Most of British Columbia is mountainous, with long rugged ranges running north and south. Even the coastal islands are the remains of a mountain range that existed thousands of years ago. During the last Ice Age, this
range was scoured by glaciers until most of it was beneath the sea. Its peaks now show as islands scattered along the coast.The southwestern
coastal region has a
mild marine climate. Sea winds that
blow inland from the west are warmed by a current
of warm water that flows through the Pacific Ocean. As a result, winter temperatures average above freezing and summers are mild. These warm western winds also carry moisture from the ocean.Inland from the coast, the winds from the Pacific meet the mountain barriers of the coastal ranges and the Rocky Mountains. As they rise to cross the mountains, the winds are cooled, and their moisture begins to fall as rain. On some of the western slopes almost 200 inches (500cm) of rain fall each year.More than half of British
Columbia is heavily forested. On mountain slopes that receive plentiful rainfall, huge Douglas firs rise in towering columns. These forest giants often grow to be as much as 300 feet (90m) tall, with diameters up to 10 feet (3m). More lumber is produced from these trees than from any other kind of tree in North America. Hemlock, red cedar, and balsam fir are among the other trees found in British Columbia.英属哥伦比亚英属哥伦比亚是加拿大的第三大省,无论是面积还是人口都是如此。
它几乎是德克萨 斯的 1.5 倍,从美国边境一直向北延伸了 800 英里(1,280 公里)。
它包括了加拿大整个西 海岸及附近岛屿。
大部分英属哥伦比亚多山峦。
绵长而粗犷的山脉贯通南北。
甚至那些 沿海的岛屿都是那些存在于千万年前的山脉的遗迹。
在上一个冰河时期,《写作160篇》全面涵盖当年可考话题,经典话题精心选材,这些山脉被冰河 冲刷侵蚀,直到大部分山脉被淹没在海中。它们的峰顶显现为沿着海岸散布的岛屿。 西南 海岸地区有着潮湿温和的海洋性气候。
从太平洋来的温暖的洋流使得从西吹过内陆的海风 变得温暖。 因此这儿冬天平均气温在零上而且夏天也不会酷热。 这些温暖的西风同样也从 海洋带来了湿气。
来自太平洋的、从海岸向内陆的风遇到海岸山脉和落基山脉这些山脉屏 障。
当气流升高跨越这些山脉时,风的温度就降低了,风中的水分形成降雨。
在一些朝西 山坡区域每年大约有 200 英寸(500 厘米)的降水。
大部分英属哥伦比亚密布着森林。
在有 充足降水的斜坡,巨大的道格拉斯枞树高耸入云。 这些森林巨人常常长到高达 300 英尺(90 米),直径粗达 10 英尺(3 米)。
这些树产出了比北美其他任何树都多的木材。
铁杉、红香椿、香脂冷杉枞都是发现于英属哥伦比亚的其它树种。&32 BotanyBotany, the study of plants, occupies a peculiar position in the history of human knowledge. For
had anything more than the vaguest of insights. It is impossible to know today just what our Stone Age ancestors knew about plants, but from what we can observe of preindustrial societies that still exist a detailed
of plants and their
properties
extremely ancient. This is logical. Plants are the basis of the food pyramid for all living things even for other plants. They have always been enormously important to the welfare of people not only for food, but also for clothing, weapons, tools, dyes, medicines, shelter, and a great many other purposes. Tribes living today in
jungles of the Amazon recognize
literally hundreds of plants and know many properties of each. To them, botany, as such, has
no name and is probably not even recognized as a special branch of &knowledge&at all.Unfortunately, the more industrialized we become the farther away we
move from direct contact with plants, and the less distinct our knowledge of botany grows. Yet everyone comes unconsciously
knowledge,
to recognize a rose, an apple, or an orchid. When our Neolithic ancestors,
living in the MiddleEast about 10, 000 years ago,
discovered that
certain grasses could
be harvested and their seeds planted for richer yields
the next season the first
great step in
a new association of plants and humans was taken. Grains were discovered and
from them flowed the marvel of agriculture: cultivated crops. From then on, humans would increasingly take their living
from the controlled production of a few plants, rather than getting a little here and a little there from many varieties that grew wild - and the accumulated knowledge of tens of thousands of years of experience and intimacy with plants in the wild would begin to fade away.植物学植物学,即对植物的研究,在人类知识的历史中占据了特殊的地位。
这是人类几千年 来超越模糊的认知而真正有所了解的领域之一。
我们今天不可能知道新石器时代的祖先们 对植物到底了解多少,但我们在至今仍存在的前工业化社会观察到:人类对植物及其特性的 详细了解应该是非常古老的。这是理所当然的。 植物是其他生物甚至其他植物食物金字塔 的基础。
它们对人们的生活至关重要,不仅在食物上,而且在衣物、武器、工具、染料、 药物、住所和许许多多其他的用途上。
至今仍生活在亚马逊河丛林中的部落确实能够辨识 几百种植物并知道每一种的许多特性。
对他们来说,植物学没有专门的名称,甚至可能根 本未被认为是一种专门知识。
不幸的是,工业化的程度越高,我们距直接与植物接触就越远,我们的植物学知识的增加也就越微不足道。
然而每个人在不知不觉中拥有大量的植物 学知识,很少有人认不出玫瑰、苹果或兰花。大约一万年前居住在中东的新时代的祖先们 发现某些草能被收获,它们的种子下一季耕种会收获更多时,人类就迈出了人和植物之间的 新关系第一大步。 谷子被发现后,农业的奇迹从此诞生:这就是可栽培的谷物。 从那时起, 人类越来越依赖少数可控制的作物生存,而不再是从众多的野生种类中这里获取一点,那里 获取一点。
这样在千万《写作160篇》全面涵盖当年可考话题,经典话题精心选材,包含各类专业文献、各类资格考试、行业资料、中学教育、生活休闲娱乐、高等教育、幼儿教育、小学教育、外语学习资料、优美英语短文背诵80篇+中文翻译03等内容。 
  优美英语短文80篇%2B中文翻译_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。多篇英语小短文的翻译,很适合于学习英语的辅助资料英语话题写作第一书《写作 160 篇》连续 5 年命中...  英语背诵美文80篇(含翻译)_英语考试_外语学习_教育专区 暂无评价|0人阅读|0次下载|举报文档英语背诵美文80篇(含翻译)_英语考试_外语学习_教育专区。&01 The ...   新概念优美英文背诵短文50篇_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。英语美文...live children in
in 1936, and 80 in 1940...  生而为赢(中文翻译)――新东方英语背诵美文 30 篇...接收积极乐观的信号,你就有望在八十高龄过世时依然...我们一旦到了那儿,许多美妙的梦想就将成为现实, ...   生而为赢_新东方英语背诵美文30篇+汉语译文_经管...捕捉乐观信号,你就有望在八十高龄告别尘寰时仍觉...这种难以名状的美妙迷醉使我愿意用所有的余生去换 ...   新东方背诵80篇(整理中英对照版)_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。整洁的word格式,中英文对照,适合打印新东方背诵 80 篇 01 The Language of Music 音乐的语言 画家...   新概念优美背诵短文50篇_英语学习_外语学习_教育...十九世纪八十年代炼油者们懂得了生产其它石油产品, ...  美 丽的花儿对我们微笑着,并听见鸟儿在树上唱着悦耳的歌曲,风景实十分美丽。 ... 背诵的经典英语短文 12页 免费 经典英语短文背诵[42篇] 13页 1下载券...

我要回帖

更多关于 短文翻译 的文章

随机推荐